CHAPTER NINETY-NINE: Problems

NOTES: Fun fact, I've done more major editing in the last twenty chapters than I initially permitted myself to do for this whole book.

I hope this will be the last.

---

Izuku was jolted awake by the sound of his phone ringing. He could feel his dried up tears all over his face. He rubbed his eyes while looking for his phone lost somewhere in his bed.

Once he found his phone, he checked to see who was calling.

Dad.

Izuku gulped. He was about to decline the call, but he hesitated at the last second. Tears began to form in his eyes again, and he couldn't stop them from overflowing.

Izuku gritted his teeth as his tears continued to overflow. He didn't want to talk to his dad at that time, he just wasn't ready. But if he doesn't answer, then his dad will know something was wrong.

After some time, Izuku's phone stopped ringing, but it resumed just a few seconds later. Izuku let it ring for a while, while he tried to calm himself and stop his crying. Once he felt more prepared, he finally answered the call.

With the brightest tone he could muster at that moment, Izuku greeted his father, "Hey, Dad. Sorry, I took too long to answer."

"Izuku, you missed our video chat. Is something wrong?" His father asked. A single tear fell after that question, Yes. Yes, there is.

"Uh, no, no. There's just been a bunch of troublemaking villains at the streets lately. I was too tired and fell asleep once I got back at the dorms. Sorry I missed it." Izuku apologized as he tried to wipe his tears off to no avail as they continued to flow without his permission.

"I see... well, how was your first day at your hero work-studies?" Hisashi asked.

Izuku hesitated for a moment, but then he answered, "It was... fine. Our patrols were pretty peaceful. We didn't encounter a lot of villains, thankfully."

"Really?" Hisashi sounded suspicious.

"You just contradicted yourself, Izuku."

Izuku winced and remembered what Nighteye told him, If any of these scenarios happen, then your father really is All for One.

Izuku gritted his teeth and made an excuse, "Really? I guess the whole day was just so exhausting I mixed up most of the details." Izuku forced a laugh as he continued to wipe his tears away.

I can't let Dad know. I'll prove Nighteye wrong, and to do that, I can't let Dad know. Izuku thought to himself as more tears flowed down his face.

-

"Anyway, Dad. I'm gonna go and eat dinner. I still haven't eaten yet." Izuku said from the other side of the line.

"Alright." Hisashi could only reply.

"Bye, Dad." Izuku bid farewell before ending the call. Hisashi let out a sigh, then he leaned back on his seat and looked up at the ceiling.

How frustrating, he thought.

(a/n: parenting often is, Hisashi)

Then the door suddenly opened, and in walked little Eri holding a stuffed bunny.

"Hisashi-san, we really won't be talking to Izuku-nii tonight?" Eri asked, a little sad and disappointed.

Hisashi smiled at the little girl then he explained, "I'm sorry, Eri, but Izuku-nii's a little tired from his first day at work. We should give him some time to rest."

"You should go rest yourself too. I promise you'll get to see Izuku-nii soon." Hisashi assured her. Eri smiled at her foster father's promise.

"Okay. Good night, Hisashi-san. Good night, Adohira-san." Eri waved at the two men in the room before leaving. Adohira waved bye as well.

Once the door closed, Hisashi turned his attention to the other person in the room.

He rested his chin on his intertwined fingers then he asked with an ominous smile, "Tell me again, Adohira, what were the three conditions that Mirai gave Izuku?"

-

Tenko sat on his chair glaring at a number of folders laid out on his desk.

After the failed attempt on his life about a day ago, he conducted a small investigation on those traitors and their actions prior the assassination.

As it turns out, they've began acting questionably for about a month now, slowly pulling their selves away from the organization, even messing with a few operations by the organization along the way. The assassination attempt seemed to have just been their farewell gift.

However, Tenko noted that those traitors' decision to betray him was incredibly stupid. The Underworld doesn't take lightly to traitors, so their choice to betray him would've been fatal to their business. It didn't make sense.

Tenko furrowed his brows and pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, I need more time and information to figure this all out.

Suddenly, a knock on the door was heard.

"You can enter, Dabi." Tenko yelled in an aggravated tone. The door opened, and sure enough, it was Dabi.

"Good evening, Tenko-niichan. I'm just here to fulfill my deal with your brother and remind you to call. You are busy, aren't you?" Dabi asked with a smirk.

Tenko pinched the bridge of his nose once again, then he took a long deep breath to calm himself, a picture that only satisfied Dabi.

"He's probably asleep by now. I don't think he'd appreciate me calling in the middle of the night." Tenko told the other guy as he began to tidy the folders and files on his desk.

"Oh, so you do know what time it is--"

"Please leave if you don't have anything else to say. I'm tired as well, and I want to sleep." Tenko said as he stood up to walk towards the door.

"Aww. Is it exhausting being daddy's perfect successor?" Dabi said in a provoking tone. Tenko only flashed him a sarcastic smile, but this was still enough to glee Dabi.

Not wanting to give this win to Dabi, Tenko thought of the perfect snap back, "Your true hair color's showing, Touya. Maybe you should try dying half of your hair red, instead of all black. Maybe that way, you can be Shouto no. 2."

"Good night, I hope you sleep tight!" Tenko told him with a sweet satisfied smile on his face.

After that, Tenko shut the door on Dabi's face. He let out a satisfied yawn as he headed straight to his bed.

---

NOTES: Well, it's nice to see that Tenko's having a great time with friends while his brother is being isolated. 😂

I promise this is the last time I republish an edited chapter. I hope.

Also, when will Dabi learn? He'll never win against Tenko.

On another note, I write my best when I'm practically half-asleep.