2.08; christmas

There are plenty of things Emily Moore loved. 

Coffee.

Music. Nature documentaries. BTR. Sarcasm. Animals. Baths. Hot Tea. Cold pillows. Hot weather with a chilly breeze. The beach. Day's off work. Unusually dangerous things. Jean jackets. A low ponytail. 

One of those things was not  Christmas. 

As long as she could remember, she felt indifferent towards Christmas. It was necessarily hatred. She didn't burn trees and presents or curse out carolers, but she also wasn't about to go out of her way to bake gingerbread cookies. 

Since she's been at the Palm Woods and worked with Gustavo, she's spent Christmas alone. Gustavo goes on exotic holidays every year, and Emily has no family around, so every year she hibernates in her apartment until the festivities blow over. 

The boys love Christmas and haven't realized their friend's distaste for the season. Emily, surprisingly, found comfort in knowing the boys would go back to Minnesota for the holidays. She could bury her emotions and be alone. Just how she wanted it. 

But the guys weren't totally oblivious. They noticed a change in the girl since decorations went up in the crib, songs started playing on the radio, and the guys began celebrating. Emily had always been somewhat of a mystery to them, though. And considering she revealed her recent past with Hawk, they didn't want to push her anymore. 

Out of the whole holiday season, Christmas Eve/Day were her favorites. Bitters hated Christmas too, so the lobby was always bare, and everyone went home to be with their families. Days like today meant she was about to be alone.

Only three people knew about her situation. Gustavo and Kelly, therefore they never found it odd when she got down during this time of year. 

And Jo. 

Her friend gave Emily her present a week early. Jo being Jo figured out quickly something was off when she didn't jump up and down screaming at her new espresso machine so she could have caffeine whenever and without other people denying her the option. Jo got it out of her. As much as she wanted to lift her spirits, the girl had to go home for the holidays but told Kendall in secret that the guys needed to respect her space and make her feel loved before they left. 

The girl currently sat huddled on the couch in the studio lobby, waiting for the guys to come by, say goodbye to Gustavo, and then have them all leave for the airport. 

Someone sent Gustavo a puzzle of the savanna for Christmas. He was not impressed. Emily sat hunched over, just finishing the border on the table. 

"Moore!" Gustavo shouted from in the office. "Last call- do you want dinner delivered at all during the holidays?"

Emily flicked a puzzle piece out of the way, "No, thank you," she shouted back. 

"Merry Christmas!" A voice shouted from the end of the hallway. Emily momentarily glanced up, seeing the guys arrive. Gustavo carried two suitcases out of the office. 

"Dogs," Gustavo addressed, "let's make this quick because I'm going to Fiji for the hol-i-days!" He sang. The band gave him an unsure look. "Okay, it's not my best song ever, but who cares? I'm going to Fiji!"

Kelly smiled at his excitement. 

"Well, we just wanted to give you..." Kendal said, pulling out a large package, "this."

"We ordered it special," Carlos grinned as James handed the gift over.  

Gustavo smiled excitedly before tearing into the package revealing red pajamas. "Oh. Pajamas? Really?"