4.09; test

James was going through a crisis. 

For "fun," and not "research" he had Emily take a compatibility test with him from this months teen magazine. They got a 42% and James' confidence was shaken. 

The boy was on edge as it was. His friends were in on the plan to tell Emily James loved her. He would never admit it and no one could've guessed it, but he was self-conscious. 

Emily wasn't bothered by the score. She didn't want the take the test anyway. The girl had been stuck in her head for days working on the song for the album. It took up all her attention. 

Logan demanded positive energy from his friends before he headed out to take a medical school exam. James killed the good vibes when he ran in freaking out and staring sadly at him and Emily's unmatched answers in the magazine. Logan dragged Carlos with him, much to the boy's disappointment. Mama Knight went to drop Katie at Rocque Records before getting her car checked, leaving Kendall to put James back together. 

"So, do you want to tell me what this–"

"Emily and I got a 42% compatibility on this months Pop Tiger  "Are You Soulmates?" quiz!!" James exclaimed. "According to this, we won't make it to the 'I love you' stage."

Kendall stared cautiously, thinking of how to handle the situation with kid gloves, "Emily is a realist and probably doesn't believe in any of that," he tried to point out. James ignored everything, biting off the cap of a marker while flipping to another page. 

"So now I'm taking the "Is He A Bad Boyfriend?" test."

Kendall frowned, "I'm not sure I'm following..."

"I need to know if I'm the reason our score isn't higher," James explained. "The answers could be right here."

"Or we could go skateboarding," Kendall smiled, waving his board in James' face. 

James looked up at Kendall, going ahead with the test and asking the first question out loud, "You've had a tough day and you're upset. Your boyfriend A. Takes you out for cocoa and tells you to let it out, or, B. Talks about himself and checks his hair in his phone." James smiled, "Well, A, takes you out for cocoa."

Kendall coughed into his hand before James circled the answer. "I think in order to take that test you have to be... honest."

James shrugged, "That wasn't honest?"

"No, it's just that I've had a really tough day and–"

"Is this going to take long?" James asked, combing through his hair, looking in his phone's reflection. He glanced to Kendall who lowered his head, giving his friend a pointed look. "Oh. Oh, okay. Then why don't you be my girlfriend and take the test for me?"

"Or you could ask your actual girlfriend who lives upstairs," Kendall suggested.

"Please," James smiled, holding his hands together under his chin, begging. 

Sitting down, "I can't believe I'm doing this," Kendall muttered. 

"Question two. On average does your man think of A, himself, or, B, you?" James read. 

"Himself."

James let out the first of many offended shrieks. By the last question, Kendall was refusing to participate anymore. 

"It's the last question!"

"I don't want to answer it."

"It's your biggest gymnastics meet of the year and your boyfriend is A, in the front row with your parents, or, B, shows up late because he stopped at the mall to buy a new shirt?" James repeated.