4.11; break out

Three years ago, Emily Moore wasn't aware of their existence. Then in November of 2009, four tornados by the name of Logan, Carlos, James, and Kendall waltzed into her life. They fought, a lot. There were schemes and hijinks and plans and messes to fix, but day by day the boys and Emily got closer until the group of four became five. 

They produced duets, music videos, and successfully launched their first tour. And in early 2011, Emily and James finally shared their first kiss after a year of bickering, flirting, and denying their feelings for each other. The group wrote a song, almost got a reality show... there were a couple of break ups. Big Time Rush went on strike, released a second album, and went on a world tour after accidentally saving the world. After a six month break, Emily and James were officially back together and in 2012, their relationship grew. 

The gang briefly moved to an elite neighborhood, produced merchandise, got a gold record, appeared in multiple TV cameos and just wrapped a cartoon. 

So by 2013, four years after the boys set foot in L.A. for the first time, the band released a third album as if no time had passed. 

Griffin threw a party in the studio for the band. The guys got all dressed up in suits and Emily put on a tight, dark purple dress with a messy braid trailing down her shoulder. Emily stood slightly ajar from the guys, holding her drink in the air as Gustavo and Griffin proposed a toast to the band in celebration of their accomplishment.

"I can't believe we've already done three albums," Kendall gushed in awe at the crowd of people attending their party, applauding for them. 

"Feels like just yesterday we were playing hockey in Minnesota," Logan sighed. Emily nodded.

"But also it's hard to think of a time when you guys weren't here," she mentioned as Carlos gasped beside her, gripping her arm tightly.

"Or was it yesterday?" He gasped fearfully. 

Emily stiffed a quiet laugh as his friend gave the boy a blank stare, letting him go ignored until he calmed down. 

"And who knows what big-time things tomorrow will bring," James toasted, holding his glass as the five clinked their glasses together. 

"Glad you asked–"

"We didn't," Emily replied to Griffin who put himself in the middle of their moment. 

"Because it's time for BTR's next phase: the breakout!"

"The break-what?" Kendall mumbled.

"After every boy band's third album, one member breaks out on his own and stays in the spotlight," Griffin explained. "It could be starring on Broadway," he smiled, a sudden spotlight harshly hitting Carlos. "Hosting a game show..." To Logan, "Or releasing a solo album," to Kendall. 

James gasped, sliding in front of Kendall, "That's not actually gonna happen right?" He nervously asked, glancing to his girlfriend. 

"Sorry, guys. It's just the harsh reality of the boyband," Gustavo regretfully said. 

"So which one of you is going to leave Big Time Rush and breakout?" Griffin asked. 

 "Big Time Rush has been through way too much and nobody's breaking out," James said. 

"But it happens every time," Kelly winced. "Like when Justin Timberlake left NSYNC or when Beyonce left Destiny's Child."

Emily set her drink aside, rolling her eyes, "Where in the boyband qualifications rule book did you get this information?" Gustavo sighed as the guys pointed at Emily in agreement. "Just because it's happened before doesn't mean it has to!"