2.19; single

Jo had only been gone for a few days. 

Kendall and Emily weren't exactly ready to be happy yet. Especially not Kendall. 

Emily had yet to confront James and tell him it wasn't going to happen between them. That was hanging over her head. 

To make matters worse, Griffin showed up and demanded a hit summer single in a day and spun Gustavo into a daze.

Emily slumped over onto the panel in the booth with everyone as they curiously watched Gustavo in the studio at his piano. 

The man sat up straight, froze solid with the exception of his right arm, which shot out straight, pointing one finger down and repeatedly hit the same key over and over and over much like a drinking bird. 

"I've never seen him like this before," Kelly stated from beside Emily who leaned over in interest at her boss' out of character state. "It's too much pressure."

"I don't understand." The group jumped at Griffin's sudden entrance, spinning to see him and his assistant, Abdul, standing behind them. "All I asked was Gustavo write a huge, mega, summertime hit single that captures everyone's hearts, sells one billion copies, rules the world, and has the word "beach" in it!" Emily rolled her chair forward, the only one not standing in front of the CEO. At the blank stares, Griffin shrugged, "What? I gave him till the end of the day to do it."

Emily sighed, leaning back in her rolling chair, "Ah, Griffin, you truly are a marvel," she hummed sarcastically. Griffin smiled. 

"I know," he beamed. "Now, what's wrong with this one?" Griffin pointed down to a dead Kendall, face down on the couch at the back of the booth, moaning in pain. 

"His girlfriend moved to New Zealand," Carlos winced. 

"Literally flew out of his life," Logan expressed. 

"And he's face down on the couch," James pointed out drawing an eye roll from Emily. 

"Well, fix it," Griffin said, "because I can't have this bummer singing my huge hit single of the summer. And I need my huge hit single of the summer that rules the world or else," he threatened, pointing to Abdul who held up a black brief case not disclosing its containments. 

Kelly and the three guys winced as Gustavo remained broken, Kendall cried, and Emily made no motion to offer a solution or witty comment. 

The bored girl groaned, "So what?" She asked, the only one unafraid of whatever was in the case. Kelly gasped as the guys tried to shush her and hope she could take it back. 

"So what?" Griffin repeated. "Do you know how I got to be so rich and powerful?"

Logan nodded, supplying an answer, "Your grandpa invented the moist towelette and you inherited his fortune."

"That, and I solve problems," Griffin said, sitting on Kendall who took up the entire couch. "Now, you four go and get Kendall over his heartbreak," he pointed at the teens. "And you," to Kelly, "get Gustavo to write the single that rules the world."

Emily sluggishly exited the booth, her hair out of place while she waited for the guys to walk out with Kendall. As they ran up to her, following the girl with dead Kendall, she inhaled. 

"So, yeah, I'm not gonna help with this project," she told the guys. 

"What?" Logan demanded. 

"Why not?" James asked. 

"My best friend just moved away, and I can't help Kendall until I'm okay," she told them. "So, go do whatever "bro" things you guys do together and don't come find me unless it's an emergency."