Chapter157: Free

Harumi looked at the rest of her teammates, using their current time in the rusted metal cage to sleep even more. In their defense, they didn't have Oni powers, and they weren't warriors either, so perhaps recharging would help them out later.
Lilla had fallen asleep with her lips scruched up in a pout, evidently upset about being recaptured. Jade was passed out next to her, arms crossed. The others were strewn across the cage, separated, each dreaming their own nightmare.
Harumi looked back outside the cage, at the entrance to the Dead's End, creeping closer, until they finally reached the bone gates and were wheeled through.
And back to the cage it was.
Harumi could feel the flames of hope inside her dying. . .down. . .down. . .
By the time night fell, she was alone on the ground, legs to the side with one hand supporting her, looking at the starless sky. The chilly breeze had no air of familiarity to it, like Ninjago's winter nights, and the moon had no clouds covering its cold white light.
By the time midnight fell, her mind was flaming, homesick. Harumi's tough barrier had broken to pieces as she thought of Lloyd.
His smile was oftentimes the only thing motivating her to get out of bed. It was because of him that she was here today. He changed her. Saved her. Because he had faith in her.
Harumi had never seen anyone else with the same jaded emerald eyes, the tint of brokenness always tossing shade on their brilliance.
"We have to live up to a role that was bestowed upon us. We never chose these mantles we hold."
"I know. It's hard to live a normal life..."
Harumi felt the tears building up in her own forest-green pair.
"I never ASKED to be a princess. Just as I never asked to be an orphan, but YOU gifted me that."
"It wasn't until the almighty Lord Garmadon saved the day! But..he couldn't save...my family. It was too late. I died that day too."
She tilted her head back, so they wouldn't fall down, and forcibly relaxed her features through the burn ripping through her eyes as the tears refused to back down.
"Don'tcrydon'tcrydon'tcrydon'tcry..." she continuously whispered to herself, afraid that closing her eyes for too long would push the water out. "I miss you, Lloyd. You did so much for me."
"His friends did so much for us, too," a bold, unwavering voice stepped out of the shadows, and Harumi instantly slid the hidden dagger out of her boot and pointed it at them.
The warrior didn't lower her guard, moving her dagger to follow Faith as the leader of the Hunter came face-to-face with her on the other side of the bone cage.
"You all are not very unlike the last visitors we had here," Faith told her. "The ninja are brave fighters who have secured their place in our history. The first four overthrew our old dictator in the process of trying to escape this realm," she hummed, smiling. "Lloyd was not here at the time, but they told me stories."
"He was in Ninjago, defending the city from his father..." Harumi looked down, "and me."
"I never suspected you were the villain," Jet Jack approached them, a harsh undertone lining her words. "Now we have every reason to keep you here."
"Wait, no! Please! I have to get back--"
"So you can fight them again? No," she spat. "We'd gladly hold you off for them; after all, they did change our lives."
"They changed my life too!" Harumi pleaded. "Please! Let me explain!"
Jet Jack was opening her mouth to shut her down again, but Faith was faster.
"Wait," she said, her voice cold and firm. "Give her a chance. You know as well as I do that everyone deserves second ones."
Jet Jack hissed quietly, reluctant, but crossed her arms and nodded at Harumi to begin.
Harumi paused. It was rare for her to open the floodgates, especially around strangers.
She looked back at her sleeping friends, and thought of how badly she needed to get home. Pulling herself to tell the story with that, she closed her eyes, letting the memories flash, flicker, and fade in her mind like images from a projector.
"It all began with the Day of the Great Devourer..."

"...that was when we ended up here, and...you know the rest of the story."
Faith and Jet Jack looked at the slow-rising sun, the sky coloring a blood-red right before dawn.
A beat of silence followed, then:
"She could be lying!" Jet Jack burst out. "How can we trust her?"
Harumi grew frustrated, but luckily for her Faith shut the other Hunter down.
"She has proven to us that she has changed sides. If this villain Zephyr is trying to attack their home, then let them go immediately."
"But what if she hasn't?" she pressed.
Faith looked coldly at Harumi, with a red eye staring into her soul, as she donned her straw hat.
"Then we'll let the ninja know we have room for a few more in the Dead's End. Get the dragons."
Jet Jack finally subsided, while Faith took a hairpin off her head, and attached to it, was a rusted silver key.
She turned the key in the lock of the bone cage, and it swung open, creaking with every motion. The others woke up to the noise, and Harumi promised to explain it all later when they were't crunched for time.
As they boarded Firstbourne and the wind dragon, with a few of them on each, Faith waved calmly, watching them depart. Harumi felt her heart jump as the dragons leapt into the sky, a feeling of freedom in flight washing over her.
The wind got even colder up in the sky, but she didn't mind as they sailed through the cloudless yellow sky, laughing as the dragons twisted and turned, feeling free.
Then, they began to barrel.
Harumi hung on for her life, barely keeping her head up to keep an eye on her friends behind her, one arm secured around Cloud, the other hanging on to Firstbourne. She ducked her head and closed her eyes just as the white light covered them whole. She was too busy to notice the glowing red gem forming by her neck.

When she opened them again, her heart sank at the ruins of Ninjago.

(A/N: Hello all, we're back with two more chapters! Hope everyone is safe and well :) ~Ash)