Chapter 192: Christmastime (part one)

Chapter 192: Christmastime (Part 1)

Back on the Bounty, peace rained down on the Resistance. Christmastime.
Admittedly, it was a risk, relaxing even a little, with Zephyr still on the rise, but they had no other leads, and thus, were stuck. Everyone had split up into their own tasks, often working with a small group---Lloyd, Quiet, Warrior, Hatred, Nix, and Mystaké were hanging up decorations throughout the ship, traveling from every door frame to each cabin and the deck, plus the railing. Opal, Cloud, Princess, Mirage, and Oni Harumi had gone out to get more, since the others were being QUITE generous with the tinsel and bows. Meanwhile, Garmadon, the three girls, Casual and Child Harumi (who was very happy to be back home) were decorating the tree.
It was a beautiful tree; many of them stopped by and stared at its forest-green needles. It was just as tall as Garmadon! It hadn't taken them long to scour the entire ship for the lost cardboard box of multicolored ornaments. And a bonus---fairy lights, which Child Harumi loved.
Even with constantly tangling herself in the lights that were bigger than her, she was the joy of the day. It felt like nothing could ruin such a spectacular mood, with Christmas in the air. And of course...there was food.
Mystaké, Princess, and Lloyd had asked for everyone's help to make a Christmas dinner. Although he wasn't the greatest at cooking, the green ninja still had SOME basic experience on how to make decent food (better than Jay, at least...and Cole's was even worse..). He was picking up a few things from Mystaké, who, although she made some very...questionable concoctions sometimes, was overall a good cook. And of course, Princess Harumi was in charge of dessert.
There was a storm of aromas swirling in the kitchen, ranging from mashed potatoes to roasted turkey and homemade jam. Everyone made themselves useful, except for Harumi and the puppies, who were making a mess in the corner of the kitchen. Their faces were white with flour, and Cloud, who already had white fur, was now a cream-ish color. As she quickly shook it off her, it fell in an oval outline around her paws, and Harumi giggled, also trying to shake it off her cheeks and chin.
In the background, Garmadon saw Mystaké adding an unknown pinch of silver dust into the pot of chicken noodle soup. When asked what it was, she told him not to worry. He was about to interrogate her further, but everyone was disturbed by the sound of breaking porcelain. A small dish lay shattered on the ground, at Quiet's feet, and everyone laughed. Princess Harumi expertly sweeped it up and set the pieces aside on the little empty space left in the corner between the counter and cabinets. The work resumed, and she started to make the pie crusts, one for an apple pie and one for a pumpking pie.
Garmadon stood back for a moment to watch.
"What a catastrophe."
He smiled.

After they had finished, the Resistance set all the dishes out to cool. Meanwhile, Garmadon, Kaitlynn, Jade, Lilla, Casual and Child Harumi set to finish decorating the tree. Jade had turned on some of her favorite Christmas tunes, and had started dancing as she decorated. Kaitlynn rolled her eyes but still continued nonetheless. Child Harumi was using a crate as a step stool to reach up to the higher parts of the tree. Casual Harumi stood back for a moment, just as Garmadon had done.
"It's so beautiful," she sighed, with her signature smile.
"I must agree," Lilla joined her a few feet away.
Child Harumi climbed onto the couch nearby, holding a shiny silver gift-shaped ornament in her hands. Jade saw her reach higher than she really could, and instinctively grabbed her before she fell.
Harumi cried out. "Hey! Put me down!"
"That's dangerous, okay?" Jade kneeled down to her, a hand on her shoulder.
"I was just standing on the couch, nothing more!" the child argued, shrugging off her hand.
"No, Jade was right...for once...you could have fallen and hurt yourself," Kaitlynn told her.
Harumi looked into every face that was staring back at her.
"How about...you want to go bake some cookies?" Jade suggested, hoping desperately she would agree.
Child Harumi consented, reluctantly. She went to the doorframe, and had just passed out of eyeshot when she heard her name inside. She stopped, and sat outside the frame, choosing to listen to Lilla and Jade defending her while Kaitlynn talked to them. Finally, she left.