Ch 1: I become a Charlonzi

Have you ever wondered about a nearby – faraway island that unexpectedly is fun to live in? Out of modern technology, out of misty blazing love romance and drama? Have you ever wondered about the perfect place like this?

I never wondered about it before.

Cowie Island, I really can't understand its name at first. An 80 km2 island surrounded by the ocean, somehow is shaped like a cow, with 70% of its land area covered with jungle and forest. But the chief told me that the name itself wasn't deprived by the shape. The shape is purely unintended. Cowie means 'Cow', of course, as I expected. The cow was the main animal of this island, the source of happiness, the source of joy, and the source of economy, of course. If you can see any cows that live better than the ones in Cowie, then I can assume that you've never seen the cows in Cowie Island.

Well, you can laugh at its name, but yes. The place exists.

It is an escape place.

Honestly, I don't care much about where I live. I can live at ease because I used to live in an orphanage. The orphanage itself wasn't all that sketchy. It was a good orphanage with some great friends and a great mama-orphanage. The building had 3 floors; the first floor was the place where we used to have our dinner, breakfast, lunch, or even did our homework together, you name it. A clean kitchen was located right next to the dining area where Mama Orphan cooked for us with our 'older sisters', and there was also a place with a fireplace and books, not compatible, but it's the most comfortable place I've ever been in my whole life. The dim light at night, sometimes the stories my 'sisters' used to read. They're all my treasure. The second floor was our study and play area. Some of the indoor plants were placed here and we took care of them every day without an order. To be honest, I'm not a really morning person but whenever I wake up, I see that the plants are neatly watered. We've been taught to always respect lives including plants. Mama orphanage's bedroom is here, too. I figured it made her easier to watch on us for being in the second level. The third floor was the level for bedrooms. Nothing fancy, just bedrooms. One bedroom was shared with 4-7 children. Not the most comfortable amount, I know. But all of the children were perfect as they were. I won't say that we didn't do a mess. But I guess the mess was nothing if we always cleaned up after ourselves, right?

Though it's a good orphanage, the home is what I've been dreaming of having. Until one day, someone asked me to live with them, a lovely woman with jewelry on her body. Super rich, I can assume. I was so captivated by her smile, a lovely smile, and a lovely personality. From what I've heard from Mama Orphan, she's rich but she's not entitled. She's like the most perfect human alive and she needed to adopt someone who can be her light.

"What about her children?"

Mama Orphan told me about her background. It was Mrs. Charlonzi, not a maiden name just for your information. Mrs. Charlonzi's wealth didn't come from her husband. It was from her family. Though she'd been raised with a golden spoon, she'd been taught humanity and kindness; something that usually lacks from the rich. Mrs. Charlonzi had a daughter, with the name Mawar which means 'the rose'. Such a beautiful name with a beautiful daughter, that's what I thought and imagined at that time. But then, why did she need another daughter? The question drove me crazy. Alright, it's not like it's the first time I'd seen adoption in my orphanage. But this particular adoption by Mrs. Charlonzi took my curiosity. Another lucky day, Mrs. Charlonzi was looking for someone with kindness and cheerful traits... and my mama orphan suggested me.