Ch 23: The nightmare begins

After a fulfilling breakfast, I couldn't bring myself to nap even if my body needed the rest

After a fulfilling breakfast, I couldn't bring myself to nap even if my body needed the rest. Reanne, Kaoru, and Olivier had gone some minutes ago back to the clinic –or at least that was for Reanne and Kaoru, no one knew where Olivier was heading. Storm was having another chat with Kyo who joined later, Aura decided to crash out on her bed and Ludwig switched places as soon as Grandpa Pummel was up.

They had to be exhausted, I smiled. I needed to do something to show my gratitude.

Should I go to sleep now? No, I didn't think so. The next thing I did was brush my teeth and wash my face in the sink. I needed to check on the farm and the animals. Even if my body was all messed up, I couldn't leave my job regardless.

My mood was on cloud nine because of the pendant. I skipped on the road. I even said hello to the rising sun. Today was a good day.

"Charlonzi."

Almost reaching the farm, I heard a familiar voice as I looked at the source. This voice was Azriel's and yep as I guessed, he called me while having his morning coffee on the front. A rare sight as Azriel wasn't a morning person at all.

"You look so happy," Azriel smiled.

I gave him a smile back.

"It would be pretty helpful if you could call me by my real name," I suggested as I approached his house. "There are two Charlonzis now on this island."

"My bad," Azriel was indifferent. "Just so you know I didn't even want to say her name."

I smiled for such a nice yet subtle response.

"Thank you," I expressed my gratitude. "Can I sit here?"

Azriel didn't say any answer but he made some space beside him for me to sit. I sat in the space and we both enjoyed the morning view that we rarely saw –especially him. The summer went sluggardly; sometimes it was freezing at night like an impossible heat could happen in the morning.

"I remember that morning isn't your friend. What's up with today's morning?" I tried to engage in a conversation.

"Today's the day I need to do some control on the sprinklers," Azriel explained. "I was about to go to your farm but I remember that someone resides there now. So, I decided to wait for you to come to the field."

Really. This kind of attitude reminded me of what Reanne said before. She said something like 'It's not lazy'. Azriel might be someone who would be called lazy, but like the others, they knew pretty well about their obligations and jobs.

Azriel took the empty cup back to his kitchen. After a short preparation with tools and all, we went to the farm and reached soon after. There was no sign of Mawar anywhere; we opted to work in silence.

I took some of the veggies and fruits that were so ready to be harvested and collected them –I was contented to see the harvest as I wanted to give the harvests to the villagers. I searched for Azriel to ask for his help but he was still busy with checking the sprinklers. Oh, it's okay, I dragged the big harvest basket outside of the farm and continued with the animals. The animals looked ecstatic to see me coming though I couldn't seem to bring myself to let them pasture outside.

I couldn't imagine what Mawar was going to do to the innocent animals.

After feeding all the cows, sheep, and chickens I assisted Azriel on checking the sprinklers. He worked soundlessly and rapidly –such a professional. I was being no use but I enjoyed watching him work.

"I'm done, shall we go?" he asked.

I nodded. So far, we were so good. I hoped for an uneventful day today; that was what I kept on repeating in my mind as I was in no state to deal with some drama.

"LUNA!"

We nearly shut the fence when my name was shouted in such an unfriendly way. There was only one who treated me this way on this island. Mawar was standing on the patio, still wearing the silk pajamas.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Have you watered the plants? And fed the animals?" she kept on yelling. "How dare you neglect your job as a farmer here!"

Azriel sighed loudly at the bullshit he just heard. I tried to maintain his patience by holding his arm.

"Yes, I'd finished with everything," I concluded.

"Good," she nodded. "I notice that there are no fruits and veggies here, where do they go?"

I gulped in panic. The veggies and fruits I collected were crucial for me as I wanted to give them to the others. I couldn't let Mawar take them all, but it wasn't like I could hide them too since it was so huge –like Olivier cut in half.

"That's my veggies, right?" she saw the harvest basket. "Take them back to me at once."

Azriel, who knew that I didn't want to obey, couldn't contain his exasperation.

"I bought them all," Azriel yelled.

"Oh? My mistakes, then," Mawar covered her mouth as if she was saying 'oops'. "Then, bring me the money."

Azriel couldn't follow the answer since he just did the reason to protect me and he did know that the veggies and fruits by all means were not collected for her. He wanted to defense us, but we had no choice but silence.

"Where's the money?" she asked again.

"I stole them," Azriel was taking the challenge. "It's my and Luna's problem now, not yours."

Mawar acted surprised. What an idiot reason, she thought.

"Oh, yes, that's true," she nodded. "Well alright. Since I'm the guest here and I asked my sister to provide me with the best service, I want you to remove the 'ear fairy' things from this house. They were hideous and disgusting."

I took pride in all the jobs I did and I couldn't take any mockery dealing with my jobs. I guessed whoever loved their jobs would do the same as me. Last night, it was my flower and now she wanted to remove the ear fairy I loved.

The only job in this world, that I loved so much, she stomped on it in dishonor.

I could bite my lips to hold, but Azriel didn't seem to hold his anger. He bolted to Mawar.

"Azriel!" I tried to catch him, but I lost.

"Freaking you only exist here in the summer and we have the ear fairy for all of our life so you have no right to remove them," Azriel pointed at Mawar's forehead –threatening. "Or else I could unalive you if you keep messing with Luna this way."

I tried to stop Azriel but he was already burnt in anger. Mawar, on the other hand, was rolling her eyes unbothered. She knew that this island was too 'stupid' to kill anyone.

"Alright, alright..." she waved her hand to stop Azriel and returned to the house just to... kick the table and chairs and decorations for ear fairy.

"I'm not powerless, you know. If you couldn't meet my request, then I could do them by myself," Mawar sighed while throwing the 'open' sign and ear fairy wooden plaque on the door. "It's not hard to do but I know it must be hard to understand."

Mawar put out her hand sanitizer from the nearest drawer and sprayed her hands with it as if she had thrown some kind of virus.

"Let Ludwig know that I need some food," Mawar continued. "And you're right Azriel. It's you and Luna's problem since this farmhouse belongs to her now. Then, tell Kyo that I will be coming for the house on the eastern. Okay? You understand me?"

Mawar closed the door and hummed happily inside the house, leaving me and Azriel irritated.

"Azriel... the eastern house means..."

"... Olivier's house..." Azriel whispered.

I didn't have the time to think of saving my furniture back. One thing that I should do now was let everyone know about Mawar's plan.