Ch 21: Crushed

I never expected that the effect of Mawar could be this disastrous –in a perfectly bad way, of course

I never expected that the effect of Mawar could be this disastrous –in a perfectly bad way, of course. I used to see the face of the team smiling brightly days and nights whenever I went, but with Mawar's existence, I couldn't seem to find a way.

After the meeting, I decided to stay at the Two Pines just because. The sudden atmosphere change even influenced me that I didn't even want to stay under the same roof as Mawar. Staying at Two Pines, however, made it easier to breathe.

"Can't sleep?"

I looked at my back. Aura was standing before me when I was busy daydreaming on the railings. She smiled and didn't appear to be some kind of scary at all.

"Yes..." I answered. "You too?"

Aura nodded. She moved to the spot beside me, following me on the railings. Our eyes didn't meet but we saw the same place –the big table we used for the meeting some minutes ago. It was empty. It was probably safe to say that everyone might be enjoying their sweet little dream by now.

"Couldn't he just let Mawar stay at his hut?" Aura asked.

"You mean, Lance?" I returned the question. Aura nodded in reply.

"It seemed like that hut was too small to her liking..." I sighed.

"Just how rich your family is, if I may know?"

I guess Aura was feeling agitated with the princess vibe Mawar omitted. She should understand that it was clearly okay to dwell in a small hut, judging from the rural island we got in Cowie. But, Mawar was the only one who thought that everything would be solved by money for her comfort.

It seemed similar to Elise's motto, yet Elise didn't even hesitate to spend her money on the team.

I told Aura about my family; that the Charlonzi was wealthy based on Mama Charlonzi's effort. Mawar wouldn't be in this state if she wasn't offered a silver spoon from the start.

"No," Aura refused. "It wasn't your mama's fault. She offered what she had and didn't fake it. She also gave her the best education and all, so I really don't think that your Mama's at fault here."

"So... whose?" I kept on hungry for knowledge.

"Is your dad some kind of dictator?" Aura interrogated. "It's either coming from your dad or the environment she lived in. Since you had good-mannered helpers, it should be coming from her school."

I froze, my eyes widened, and Aura tilted her head in response. Aura was right. I didn't even think about Papa Charlonzi and his effect. I wasn't even close or talking to him a lot so I didn't know much. Of course, I wasn't so sure... but...

Yeah, everything made sense now.

"I was once ruled by that kind of bad parents," Aura smiled. "I'm sorry if my questions seem to judge you so much, but I'm glad that you're different."