Ch 8: The truth

This was bad

This was bad. I couldn't help but think that Lance had messed up with their image: the image of me hating on Olivier.

Now, what should I do?

I dashed back to the clinic. I might have hurt Olivier's feelings and I should apologize right now before any more accusations arise. After some seconds of running, I reached the Magnolia clinic. My heart beat faster as I felt rather uneasy about meeting Reanne, Kaoru, and Olivier even though I didn't do anything wrong.

It was because of the monolith I pictured of them I drew in my mind, I acknowledged.

The clinic was empty with no patients. Kaoru greeted me with her sour face as I welcomed myself in.

"How may I serve you with anything?" Kaoru talked in 'whatever'-voice.

"Can I see Olivier...??" I hesitated.

"What for?" Kaoru began her interrogation to me.

"I need to explain myself to her," I elaborated. "I hope I didn't hurt her feelings by the way I dashed off this morning."

"She doesn't care," Kaoru shrugged.

"But..."

"I told you, she doesn't care," Kaoru sounded annoyed.

... I should've known that I might be treated this way. I realized with my body shaken. Should I back off? No. It would be more misleading if I had to back off now. There were a lot of things I needed to understand about this island. Something was weird, I believed so.

"It would be better if you invite her to come inside first."

Reanne who somehow listened to our chat, came out from her office room. She still wore her usual face, the face she showed me this morning.

"She just wants to see Olivier," Kaoru gave her a reason.

"Come inside, Luna," Reanne invited me in, ignoring Kaoru's cry on the back.

"I'm sorry, I just want to meet Olivier and apologize..." I appreciated Reanne's offer yet I didn't feel comfortable enough with Kaoru's glare before me.

Reanne closed the book that she read while walking.

"She doesn't care... and she isn't here," replied Reanne. "What Kaoru said was right, Olivier doesn't care."

I paused as I felt speechless. The monolith was true... they rather protect just one small member of their team if it meant, maybe, one customer wouldn't be going to their clinic anymore.

"Oh, I didn't mean in a bad way, I'm sorry," Reanne apologized for her misleading words. "It's not like Olivier doesn't care about your apologize, but she doesn't care about people treating her."

Again, I was bewildered by the sudden strange thing that happened in Cowie. A person who didn't care about the treatment of others? How did she survive the world in that way?

"She had been in enough pain, so she doesn't care," Reanne adjusted her glasses and answered my in-mind question like a mind reader. "If that could satisfy you, then it's okay to leave, I guess."

I hesitated again. If Reanne and Kaoru told me about Olivier's reaction, then it must be true as I didn't know anything about anyone here. Again, nothing good happened if we lied.

"Why Kyo didn't mention Olivier's name during the meeting?" I directly asked and, froze Reanne and Kaoru.

"It's going to be a long story here. You could sit on the couch."

I tried to scoot my body over to the coach and sat. Kaoru left her table to go to a place –maybe the kitchen of this clinic, and Reanne put her books on the shelves right behind the coach.

"To answer your question, it was because Kyo mentioned the Cowie team... means the team with members who got specific profession to establish Cowie..." Reanne explained while being seated before me.

"... And Olivier is no longer the Cowie team. You are the farmer, and Lance is our current naturalist. She's free from any Cowie designated profession."

Kaoru took the liberty of serving us some flowered hot tea... Just... don't ask me what the flower was.

"We'd tried to let Kyo introduce her but she was beyond fair," Kaoru let her annoyed face while sitting on the couch's arm, right next to Reanne.

"Nah, I guess it's just Olivier being Olivier," Reanne added.

"True," replied Kaoru.

Of course! Why I couldn't think of that reason? So, after all this time, Olivier was really the previous farmer and naturalist and the reason why she didn't get mentioned wasn't because she was the sidekick of this team, no. She was still on this team, but she didn't work anymore.

"I heard that Olivier took Mawar's two jobs..." I mentioned.

"WHAT??" Kaoru suddenly enraged, Reanne managed to stop her from raging.

Then, Reanne decided to tell me about Olivier and Mawar to me before Kaoru released her anger again.

Long story short, Olivier was the naturalist and Mawar was the farmer. Mawar tried to sell everything for her own fortune and forgot that she was a part of this work team which was bad because our work here by any means was only for Cowie Island's exposure. The money we gained we used for developing Cowie Island together.

The more I listened to this story, the more pain I felt in my heart.

"Well, all of us were against Mawar's decision but Mawar seemed to favor Olivier more than anyone on this island," Kaoru justified the story.

"Why?" I asked. "Why it has to be Olivier?"

"Because she had less than us," Kaoru got agitated, again. "You know what she looks like. It seems like she's malnourished."

"Well, I wouldn't go that far to call her malnourished..." Reanne seemed to dislike Kaoru's term. "For me, Olivier has more than Mawar even if she doesn't need to try harder."

"What do you mean?" I demanded my curiosity to be fulfilled.

"Olivier doesn't have any second intentions so we're comfortable around her," Reanne smiled. "Or should I write the thing we like about Olivier that Mawar doesn't have? That would be pretty long."

Reanne and Kaoru giggled in harmony. It was pretty obvious that everyone on this island was fond of Olivier without any single doubt. For me, it wasn't like I hated Olivier. Deep inside, I knew that Mawar wasn't that good... Well, she was bad, but still, we were in the same family so up to this time, I still took her side.

Yes, up to this time. For the next second, I'll seek the truth and be neutral on this case.

I bid farewell to Reanne and Kaoru. The truth about Mawar on this island was something that I should search for.