Ch 9: Child

Alright, let's set the scene like this

Just imagine being in a court and the judge asked me to take someone I barely knew's side or Mawar, my stepsister's side; honestly and truthfully, I would take this stranger's side.

I knew I'd seen a lot of her shenanigans --not really shenanigans. They were just her bad traits. I still remembered the time when she disallowed me from playing with the maids and so on, destroyed my birthday cake, and even ordered me to stay away from Lance.

I did have a crush on him at that time, so it was pretty hurtful for the little me.

I took my sweet time to find some truths again. The chief. The chief might know something.

I dashed to the town hall as fast as I could. I still didn't know where was The Mouton's house so I'd rather go and gamble. With the Fortuna on my side, I saw Mrs. Mouton putting away old bulletins on the board as soon as I reached the town hall.

"Good morning, Mrs. Mouton," I approached her steadily.

"Good morning, Luna. What a nice surprise..." She smiled delightfully. "How may I help you?"

I reached my other hand. AAAAARRHGGGHHH, I left the harvest basket in I didn't know where it was.

I was so messed up yet I didn't want Mrs. Mouton to miss what I did.

"Why did you remove Olivier from her job?" I asked without hesitation.

"Oh? Aren't you a sharp one?" clearly, she was surprised by my question. "Did someone tell you about this?"

I quickly shook my head.

"No... I just ... want to know."

It was like Mrs. Mouton saw through my eyes that this scene had been bugging me since I reached Cowie Island. It wasn't even my scene, but I still wanted to know.

"You are a nice girl, Luna..." Mrs. Mouton complimented me so suddenly.

I used to be called like that but I guess no nice girl would judge someone's appearance right after she saw her.

"I didn't remove Olivier from her original job," Mrs. Mouton responded seriously. "I switched her job with Mawar's because she thought she was the better naturalist."

"... I'm sorry, Mrs. Mouton. 'She'?"

"Yes, your stepsister," the chief explained. "By being the best in her vision was being able to cultivate all she had gained..."

I paused, as I tried to understand.

"All means all. She didn't leave any compassion to Cowie or even her friends and she saw Olivier as someone weak that she could beat easily..."

I swallowed my saliva.

".... Little did she know that Olivier wasn't an easy beat and Olivier wasn't alone," Mrs. Mouton smiled; the papers on her hands were glued nicely on the announcement board. A job well done while having a conversation.

"Mrs. Mouton..." I tried to utter my mind. "So, Olivier was never at fault?"

The woman before me stopped her activity.

"Olivier was nowhere near guilty," Mrs. Mouton killed the board with her glance. "I almost lost her. She was our family, like all Cowie team that I'm so proud of."

I let Mrs. Mouton finish her story.

"In the end, Olivier succeeded in her job as a naturalist and a farmer. She could rest and that's why she doesn't need to do any more jobs."

I was glad I asked Mrs. Mouton for this case. She was the one who removed Mawar and Olivier, and the fact that I didn't hate Olivier so blindly brought me tears of joy.

I was so glad I didn't hate her just because of the hateful sentence I heard from Lance.

Now I knew everything, I tried to look for Olivier and apologized. I didn't care if she didn't care about my doing. I did it for my own sanity.

As I looked around, I didn't see Olivier anywhere. Not a single person I met knew where she went. Desperate, I went home with a small figure waiting for me outside of the fence.... with my harvest basket.

"Oh! Oh!" I screamed and approached her. "My harvest basket, thank you, Olivier!"

She nodded, but something was off about her. She didn't seem to be as friendly as the one I saw her the first time.

Ah.. it must be my fault.

"Olivier, I'm sorry..." I bowed deep. "I shouldn't have run from you at the clinic. It was rude of me... I'm sorry..."

I expected something usual like 'Oh it's okay, I don't mind, or others'. Instead, I got something shocking.

"I didn't want to forgive you..." Olivier coldly stated. "You hurt me."

Ah..I knew. She must be in pain with my action. That was really my fault... I did bad... I...

"I'm older than you, you know," Olivier pouted. "I'm not a child and I'm not small!"

Her reaction just hit me with no defense. Did she just... tell me that she was hurt because of another reason?

"I'm sorry?" I asked her to repeat herself.

"Yes, you should be sorry!" pouted Olivier again. "You keep calling me as a child. I'm not a child!"

"A... ah...." I whispered. "I thought you were mad because of what I did previously at the clinic..."

"What did you do?" now she got confused.

I covered my eyes while I was giggling and crying at the same time. That very second, I made a vow to myself that I would never call her a child again.

It was so unpredictable that I lost my composure.

"I'm sorry, Olivier..." I kept whispering with my uncontrollable cry.

As I felt that Olivier was struggling to pat my head, I bent my body.

"I'M NOT SHORT!" Olivier squealed.

"I'm sorry!" I laughed and cried again.

The pats Olivier did to me weren't the best pats I've ever felt but I wouldn't trade this pat for anything in this world.