Ch 34: A long night

Okay, that was totally unexpected. I and Reanne took a peek on Jin's glare. He usually wore this kind of warm smile, a bit silly, before us but this time, I didn't see that smile. It was as if some kind of strange energy absorbed his smile. He was expressionless. If a glare could kill anybody, he would be a serial killer right now.

Just explaining how serious Jin was with his words, even if we all know that nothing he said was true.
The Moutons looked at each other, telepathically speaking to each other. Bruce, on the other hand, seemed shocked, but he was unable to be swayed because of a mere baseless statement.

"You are Olivier's fiance?" Bruce asked.

"Yes," Jin answered firmly. "Got a problem with that?"

"Well..." Bruce shrugged, he reached more invitations inside his folder and gave them to all of us. "The thing is I didn't hear anything about you from her parents and her parents know me. By all means, if she got a fiance here, I will still be her husband."

I and Reanne stared at the invitations offered to us. We read the invitation thoroughly, in disbelief. Meanwhile, Jin pushed the invitation politely.

"Thank you for the invitation, but I must decline," Jin smiled. "I could help you to put this paper right into the trash can to save the environment. Just so you know, she doesn't wear a ring now and I am intended to be the one to do that."

Bruce laughed gnarly. He almost made me believe that he was filling an antagonist role in a movie with that kind of laugh.

"Interesting," he said after the laughter. "Interesting, indeed. I wonder, what action you would pull to gain her frozen heart?"

Oh... that's a question that might hurt Jin's heart... I wonder. I moved my eyes to see his reaction, and unexpected again, he smiled as if he held the victory firmly on his hands.

"Couldn't you see me that I'm hot and she's cool?" Jin answered. "It's a science thing, if you ever learn."

Bruce couldn't seem to find a good response. He clenched his teeth. yet still manage to laugh.

"Whatever, dude," Bruce shook his head. "All I want to say is her parents know my existence and I am the lawful husband of hers."

Mrs. Mouton decided to end the glare between the past and the maybe future of Olivier. She invited Bruce to stay in her house while Reanne took me and Jin back to the Two Pines Inn.

We let our back faced the front door before we walked back. The summer night didn't as warm as before. In fact, I could see Jin's breath evaporated to the sky, exhaled deeply, as if he tried so hard to suppress his emotion.

"Well done, Jin.. Well done..." Reanne complimented Jin. "Thank you for staying at the front row of our shield."

"Nah... I didn't think that I did good, Reanne..." Jin whispered limply. "If I did good, he would back off."

"Not a perfect one but it was a good start to face this problem..." Reanne smiled, tried to adjust her glasses. I could see that Reanne did want to do more, like what Jin wanted to do. Yet she recognized that this was the fight that Jin should battle.

"Should we let Olivier know about Jin being her fiance?" I asked hesitantly.

"Heh..." Jin smiled bitterly. "She would hate me forever."

"But..."

"...Please, Luna..." Jin begged. "Please keep it for you only."

I looked at Reanne, kinda hoped that she would assist me. But to no avail, she just closed her mouth real tight.

"Okay... but why didn't you ask Reanne to keep that too?" I asked again.

"Knowing her, she wouldn't do that..." Jin stated. A deep exhale came from his mouth again. He seemed to be very lethargic with Bruce's treatment and Olivier's past.

"Let's go home..." Reanne smiled, and we followed her back to the Two Pines Inn.