Ch 24: Homeless

I and Azriel knew exactly what happened if we wasted even one second

I and Azriel knew exactly what happened if we wasted even one second. If we didn't do anything, there would be something she thought about to replace the unfulfilled request.

"Mawar's a bad luck," I shrugged.

"Dude, she isn't even a luck," Azriel sighed.

"Yes, but why are you guys here?" asked Kaoru. "Thank you for informing us but why are you guys here?"

I and Azriel were looking around after Kaoru got confused because of our immediate visit. The person we were looking for wasn't even present.

"Where's Olivier?" asked Azriel.

"She's not here," answered Kaoru.

"Do you know where she might be?" I followed with another question.

"I don't know, dude..." Kaoru was speechless. "She was feeling better so she didn't really stay at the clinic until dinner at least."

"What's with this Olivier here and Olivier there?" Reanne who heard the commotion decided to blend in. "You have something bad, don't you?"

I nodded and explained the whole story to Reanne. Reanne took her glasses off and massaged her upper nose part. She seemed troubled.

"Yesterday was Jin and now is Mawar..." Reanne took a deep breath. "I feel bad for Olivier, actually. I bet she's gonna escape and just give the house away to Mawar."

"Is that a bad idea?" asked Kaoru.

"No... I guess it's not a bad idea..." Reanne replies. "The clinic and Two Pines are open for her 24 hours if she needs somewhere to crash. But she's gonna feel guilty that way."

"Plus, the Two Pines has Jin staying there..." Kaoru shook her head. "It won't get worse if Jin could explain to her but the thing is Olivier keeps avoiding Jin at all costs."

"Azriel, is there any house left for her to live in?" I asked.

Azriel gave me a flat face. "No... they're all reserved for the new villagers..."

We let out a deep sigh almost in an instant. The best choice was still staying in the clinic ... yet not so best choice.

"I'll try to go to the mountain," I fixed my next target.

"Let me go with you," Azriel offered and I nodded for his kind gesture.

As we left the clinic, I couldn't help but tell Azriel about Jin who watched us having breakfast earlier this morning. Thanks to Olivier being goofy, she didn't feel that Jin was staring at her the whole time.

"Call me crazy but I believe in Jin," Azriel concluded.

"Hello, crazy..." I followed the joke.

Azriel laughed a little 'heh'.

"Why are you so sure?" I questioned.

"I have lived long enough to see Jin's sincerity," Azriel replied. "It's just a matter of time to see Mawar sink to the deepest ocean."

I couldn't understand the reason, not even have the urge to ask the reason. If Azriel was comfortable enough with me, he would share what he wanted, that's what I believed.

"So Jin would be okay?"

"He would," Azriel was so sure with his answer. "No one on this island believes in Mawar but some of us find it hard to see something we never see..."

"...Truth will come eventually, you know?"Azriel smiled.

I replied with a smile.

As we were chatting, the mountain hut was getting closer. We encountered some people that we didn't even expect to be together --working together on a document.

"We're looking for you, Olivier..." I expressed my worry.

"I'm sorry..." she bowed deep. "I'm gonna feed the mountain animals so I was so hurry I didn't tell Reanne and Kaoru..."

"And I thought you dislike Olivier, young man..." Azriel curled his eyebrows --seemed a bit frightening to Lance.

"I apologized to her..." Lance panicked. "I was so wrong to underestimate her so now I'm learning under her guidance."

Olivier was grinning; it was hard to not grin or smile while seeing her grinning so widely to us.

"I could be of use..." she cheerfully waved the stick to the sky.

I and Azriel sat beside Lance on one layered box on the ground, while watching Olivier feed the birds. We could hear Azriel warn Olivier to reserve her energy like more than 5 times.

"So, how's your document going?" I asked.

"It's going pretty well..." Lance smiled at his document. "I could add a drawing here and there, and now I have a mentor, I'm even more confident."

"Is it impossible to be a naturalist with such a frail and miniature body?" Azriel interrogated.

"...Did the info about that spread that wide...?" Lance didn't directly respond to Azriel's question.

"Yep, like the fire in summer," Azriel added. "Everything's a truth except Mawar bends the fact."

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry about my action..." Lance murmured. "Does Olivier hate me?"

"As long as you don't call her 'short' then it will be fine..." Azriel gave a solution.

"WHO SHORT??!!" Olivier yelled.

"The bird..." Azriel responded nonchalantly. "See? Well, it's not really a mock if you're already close with Olivier, though."

It was given, of course. We didn't need any additional information for such a clear sentence. Our journey to the mountain that day was another healing time... before we realized that we actually had to deal with a thunderstorm.

"How about you and Mawar?" Azriel interrogated.

Lance sighed.

"It was hard for me, Azriel. I trusted her and heard so many loves from her just to witness her hugging someone else..." Lance murmured again. "I thought that she was sincere, but I just found out that I took the wrong side all this time."

I and Azriel were content with Lance's words. Still, that small event was hurting Jin and Olivier, who even didn't want to be dragged in.

"Now, since I just knew that you're on our side, I want to tell you that Mawar's going to take Olivier's house."

Lance stopped his pen, astonished. "Is that insanity?" Lance suppressed his voice so Olivier couldn't hear him. "What is she doing??!!"

"Beats me," Azriel sighed again. "Olivier might just let her take the house, though."

"But it's unfair!" Lance whispered.

"We know, we know..." Azriel closed the conversation, leaving Lance in anger.

I, who thought that we were going nowhere, decided to approach Olivier and told her about the situation. She didn't even put a shocked face, as if she foresaw the future.

"It's okay," she smiled. "I'll try to look for another place to stay."

It was a short tutoring moment between Lance and Olivier, yet short enough to make Lance feel indebted. He dashed down to the mountain road with a plan in his mind.