Ch 3: Kidnapped

The girl and the man left the field as soon as we knew our names.

The girl was Olivier and the man was Jin. While Mawar was absent, they took great care of the farm, field, and animals. I couldn't seem to dig any information other than the name they owned. They were friendly, even friendlier than the leader Kyo. Yet somehow, I felt that something was pulling me from asking more.

Did I make a mistake? I felt that, but I couldn't really convey my exact mistakes.

I kept on overthinking my faults as I opened my new house. I was pretty amused by the farmhouse. The house itself was a blend of traditional charm and modern comfort, though I would say that this house was nowhere near modern. Its logs were a mix of rich, earthy tones, weathered by time and the elements, giving it a natural, inviting appeal. A wide, welcoming porch wraps around the front, adorned with pots of colorful flowers, inviting anyone to sit and soak in the peaceful ambiance. The kitchen was a delightful blend of functionality and rustic charm, with sturdy wooden cabinets, a farmhouse sink, and traditional appliances. A small yet inviting dining table crafted from reclaimed wood sat nearby, offering a perfect setting for a sole farmer taking fill the empty belly. I took my chance to look at the bedroom; it was a cozy retreat with exposed log walls and comfortable furnishings, with soft, quilted bedding, offering a peaceful haven for a restful night's sleep. The windows in the bedroom offered breathtaking views of the farm field, allowing the beauty of nature to become part of the interior décor. Overall, this beautiful farmhouse was a harmonious blend of rustic charm, modern comfort, and natural beauty—a place where one could find peace, serenity, and a deep connection with the tranquility of the countryside.

But why did Mawar leave this gem? I still couldn't understand.

I took my blanket and let my body rest on the fluffy bed. Actually, I didn't feel that exhausted. I just felt like I needed to listen to leader Kyo's saying to take some rest before I finally met everyone else. I turned my body in my attempt to sleep yet with no avail. Maybe I should do the old trick of counting sheep? Worth trying. I started counting with my eyes closed and lost count at 24. The dream finally picked me up from the real world.

It wasn't that hard to stay asleep in such a peaceful environment. Thanks to the loud shouting on the field, I could open my eyes –not in a pleasing way. There was Olivier who tried to take the animal back to the barns and coops, caught by ... a bear?

"ELEEEPPP MEEE!!"

I stumbled on my blanket as I struggled to come to Olivier's assistance. Oh, poor Olivier! I ran as fast as I could, only to see Olivier being kidnapped by a bear. A little innocent child like her got kidnapped by a bear, what a catastrophe. I threw my glance to the animal farm. The animals were completely unharmed thanks to Olivier, but I couldn't still rest. I needed to ask for some help. But, where? Where should I get the help? To the inn? It was 05.45 pm, not even the meeting time.

I shook my head. I still had to rescue the child!

As I sprinted to the inn while kept on praying that I still could meet somebody else to help Olivier. I used to live in the city; which was still lively even after sundown. In this village, however, I couldn't find anyone to help me. Come on, it was too early to rest your eyes! Somebody needs your help!

I began to feel some drops of my tears fall down to my cheeks, but I quickly wiped them all. I felt so useless even on my first day.

After a few moments of brisk running, I arrived at the charming haven located in between two pines -- known as the Two Pines Inn. Its two-story structure emanated a gentle glow from soft, understated lights—a delicate illumination that eschewed any harshness, embracing instead a flawless equilibrium of radiance and tranquility. Every inch of the inn, from its doors to its windows and walls, bore the meticulous craftsmanship of polished logs.

Through the windows, glimpses of life within unfolded—a gathering of individuals in the dining area, their silhouettes dancing in conversation, while others, clad in comfortable pajamas, animatedly engaged on the second floor, likely within the embrace of their cozy bedrooms.

I entered the inn to spectate Kyo having a conversation with a wavy brown-haired man on the front counter.

"Welcome to Two Pines," the man greeted me with a warm smile.

"Oh, thank you," I scratched my hair, confused about how to respond to the warm greeting against the Olivier kidnapped case on my head.

"You're early," Kyo added. I nodded while he calmly took a sip of his black coffee. "Well, I appreciate it."

I would say 'thank you, I'll try to be punctual', BUT!! Olivier was in danger!!

"KYO!!" I shouted.

"Yes?" surprisingly Kyo still responded calmly.

"OLIVIER GOT KIDNAPPED!!" I screamed. "I SAW OLIVIER TOOK THE ANIMALS IN... AND THEN A BEAR... A BEAR..."

I couldn't hold myself as my tears began to fall again.

"I'm sorry..."

I expected a more panic-ish expression from Kyo, but this leader was so flat and stiff that he couldn't even his member's pain. His face didn't even show any sympathy from my tears.

I felt so resentful when Kyo took another sip of his black coffee.

"Why??" I asked.

"Why?" he repeated.

"I thought you were the leader...?" my words were shaking as I continued crying. "You're going to leave a powerless child like her dying??"

The wavy-haired man – maybe the owner of the inn, laughed so loudly at my sentence. Kyo, on the other hand, covered his face with his hands and tried to not laugh. On that very second, I realized that the others were also laughing at my words. Some laughed so hard that I could see them hitting the tables.

Why...?? did everyone hate that Olivier girl??

I would go nowhere if I asked this Kyo guy, so I tried to approach someone else. I looked around, maybe I could see Mrs. Nieve? Or maybe...

That was when I saw Jin come out of the kitchen with a glass of warm milk.

"JIN!!" I called him instantly.

"Yes?" Jin responded, though his eyes were still glued to the warm milk as if he had been waiting for the day, he got the warm milk.

"Olivier was kidnapped!!"

Jin's face went pale so suddenly, with a brief of confusion.

"Olivier what?" he asked.

"She got kidnapped by a bear!!" I repeated. "I tried to help her but I couldn't see their trace, I'm really sorry!!"

Jin patted his forehead, thinking. Then, he moved his finger to the nose, patting and thinking. The last move, he pointed his finger in the direction where the dining area was humbly placed.

"That Olivier? And that bear?"

I turned my body to see a group of villagers circled around a dining table, having a lovely dinner: a cute girl with glasses, attempting to tidy some medications; a beautiful girl with medium brown hair, also.... Olivier and a guy with a body four times bigger than Olivier – watching me in disbelief.

"Hello... I'm the bear who kidnapped Olivier," the bear waved to me.

"I'm the almost dead got kidnapped... child," Olivier waved in unison.

The inn filled with loud laughter this time. I covered my face; I was so embarrassed I could die... oh dear... what a day to be alive...