Ch 7: Monolith

Was she serious?

Was she serious?

I decided to return to the village right after Aura left. She might feel offended because of the way Lance treated her friend. Despite that, she was just a usual good lady who could be found anywhere.

"Where are you going?" Lance stopped my walk.

"The village," I replied without turning back.

"Don't you feel that you should tell the police about this?" Lance suddenly asked.

"Well, I..."

"This island is bad news, I know it!" continued Lance. "You shouldn't talk to them!"

"Well for starters..."

"Mawar must be too scared to live on this island all by herself!"

Okay, that's it. I threw one of my carrots to his head as he was beyond cowardly and silly. Go away, you freaking chicken! How would I reply if he didn't let me continue? How would I feel if I wasn't even allowed to talk to the others?

Mawar this, Mawar that; I was so agitated as I walked down from the mountain road.

Was he a kindergartener??

The more I thought about it, the more upset I felt. He didn't even realize what he had done AND I kept on asking why the young Lance was way more handsome and reliable than this adult one? Did he change? Yes, that's also the probability. A lot of things happened inside my brain and I couldn't see the road clearly; the tears filled my eyes. And... I slipped on the muddy mountain road.

"Are you okay?"

Someone grabbed my arm and I could see the only 2-meter-tall human on this island, saved me before I fell to the mud.

"Next time you hike, change your shoes, okay?" Storm the bear warned me. "The mountain is actually not a hard hike but the access is pretty horrible."

"Thank you," I appreciated his kindness as I tried to gain my balance back. "I didn't watch the mud, I'm sorry."

"All's good," Storm smiled.

"Are you going to the mountain?" I asked based on the direction he came.

Storm shook his head.

"I guess I would end my day here," Storm answered while looking at the jungle. "No one needs my help at this point. If you don't mind, do you want to go back with me?"

I embraced his kind offer.

The bear –I meant Storm, wasn't as frightening as it seemed. He kept on checking my condition once in a while without even once ignoring nature. I learnt much, about the jungle, the mountains, and animals, briefly. He also mentioned and showed me the hot springs and lake that we could visit for change. Again, he seemed nice. Should I trust him to ask about the thing that happened in Cowie? Well, what's the worst that could happen? I will get departed at max, and wouldn't be killed as I never backstab anyone here.