First Day in the Resistance

3rd POV

"Sorry that I'm dragging you around like this. I can assume how confused you must be."  Aether's apologetic appearance reflects his deep regret over the situation at hand. Despite it not being his fault for Akemi's current state, he undoubtedly feels responsible for it.

Akemi responds to him in a barely audible voice. "It's fine... I think..." She clings to Aether's arm, seeming hesitant to let go.

Of course, that was a blatant lie. It wasn't only Akemi's lack of ability to lie that told them this, but the fact that now there was a terrified child in the body of a teenager. On the walk earlier, they even had to come to a pause to fight some slimes after Akemi ran away. It seemed like she didn't know how to summon her scythe or use her pyro abilities either.

Aether gives a shake of his head in a determined manner, "It's not Akemi, I assure you. I will take the time to explain everything once we return, I promise."

Akemi seems content with his reassurances, uttering only, "Okay," in reply.

Paimon, Aether and Akemi made their way to the outskirts of Watatsumi Island, where their first mission would be. Akemi only followed, not wanting to leave alone one of her only sources of information and escape.

Soon enough, they encountered two guards.

"Ah, you must be the new captain of Swordfish II, and you..." The guard's eyes linger around Akemi, before looking back to Aether. "Her Excellency briefed us in advance. Your reputation precedes you, and the Appointment Letter is all in order. But I still have my doubts..."

"Hmm? Do you have any other questions?" Inquired Paimon.

The leader stared at the child for a second, then the traveler, then the mage, and looked at the bunch in displeasure. "I'll be straight with you. I want to know whether you have what it takes to lead us."

Aether raised a brow at his words, a bit amused to say the least. "You mean... like a duel?"

Akemi's eyes widened as she rapidly shakes her head. "I'm- n-not suited to be fighting!"

The old man sighed as he looked out across the horizon. "Normally, a duel would be the quickest way to settle the question," he said. "But this time, we've got a better way."
He gestured towards a group of Ronin gathered far off in the distance.
"We're stationed here because of all the problems these Ronin are causing," he continued. "If you can get rid of them for us, we'll take that as a measure of your strength."

An unsure hum escapes Akemi's throat as she slowly hides behind Aether, her eyes narrowing at them. "That sound like a really weird way of saying 'we're too lazy and scared to fight them so we'll sacrifice you'..."

Aether shrugs. He didn't mind as much as his friend did, he was up for any challenge. "It's fine. They can try, but I'll win."

"Cocky guy..." The mage quietly mumbled.

With no hesitation, Paimon puffs her chest out as she headed towards the Ronin. "Alright, let's show them what we're made of!" She exclaimed, acting as if she was the one who'd fight them.

"Huh!?" The mage watches as Aether runs over with Paimon, no hesitation in their actions as they charge towards them. "But we're made of blood and squishy guts!"

Akemi watches with the other two soldiers as Aether singlehandedly takes down the ronin that supposedly caused trouble. With him fighting them, it looked like the enemy was completely inferior to him.

Once Acknowledging Aether as their new leader, they introduce themselves to him, then continue their task on the mission given to them.

Aether sheathed his weapons, his gaze fixed on Yoshihisa. "Are there remaining ronin we have to deal with?" he asked.