14

irl, facetime, social media

james pays the cheque and walks with kaia back to his car.

"i had a really fun time tonight." kaia smiles as him.

"me too. i'm really happy you agreed to come with me. i couldn't have dreamed of having as good of friends this early at the new school, let alone meeting someone like you." he nods.

"i'm happy i came, too. i enjoy hanging out with you." she smiles and they stop once they're by the car.

moving too fast, moon is lighting up her skin. she's falling, doesn't even know it yet. having no regrets is all that she really wants.

they look at eachother and james smiles at her awkwardly, scanning her face.

"i hope i'm not misreading the situation, but-" he starts.

"i want to kiss you, too." she smiles.

"oh, okay." he nods.

he leans down and kisses her, her mind flashes to the dream about matt. she continues to kiss james and pictures herself in that dream, thinking it was matt.

when she realizes what she's doing, she backs away and opens her eyes.

he smiles at her and opens the car door for her, she smiles and gets in. as he's walking around the back of the car to his side, she runs her hands through her hair.

"what the fuck am i doing?" she whispers to herself before he gets in the car.

he sits in the driver's seat and offers her the aux cord. she smiles and puts on some of her favourite songs as he drives.

eyes full of stars. hustling for the good life, never thought i'd meet you here. it could be love. we could be the way forward, and i know i'll pay for it.

"anywhere you wanna go before i take you home?" james asks.

"that's a one direction album." she says quietly.

"hm?" he asks, not paying attention.

"nevermind. maybe 711?" she covers.

"matt would've known." she thinks.

"yeah, sure." he agrees.

they drive to 711 and kaia runs in like a kid in a candy store. james wanders around and looks at snacks.

kaia gets the biggest cup they have and filled it with diet coke. james grabs a couple things and they walk up to the register.

kaia pulls out her card and tap pays for everything.

"oh, i was gonna cover it." he says with his card in his hand.

"i wasn't gonna get the biggest drink and just assume you would pay for it. plus, if i suggested going here, why would i make you pay?" she asks.

"thank you." she nods to the cashier and they walk out.

"well, i'm the man. shouldn't i pay?" james laughs as they get in the car.