35

irl, social media

"can you turn the light on? i dropped my phone." chris asks matt.

matt turns the ceiling light on in the car when he's stopped at a red light. matt turns around in his seat to help chris look because the light just turned red, so he'll be there for a while.

matt grabs chris' phone from under the seat and hands it to him when nate starts smiling at matt.

"you dirty dog." nathan laughs.

"what? what happened?" matt asks, confused.

"is that lipgloss on you?" nate smiles, wiping matt's mouth with his sleeve.

matt huffs and sits back in his seat, shaking his head.

"no, it is not." matt laughs, driving when the light turns green.

"then why are your lips sparkly pink?" nathan asks.

"i have no idea what you're talking about." matt shakes his head and turns up the music.

"do y'all wanna go to topgolf tomorrow?" nick asks, scrolling through his phone.

"yes, i've never been." kaia answers.

"alright, i'm reserving an area online now." nick replies.

they arrive home, and all go inside carrying their drinks and snacks.

everyone piles onto the couches and matt puts on the princess bride; kaia's favourite movie of all time.

"i love this movie so much, i can recite every single line by memory." she enthuses, eating one of her sour strips.

"i just don't get it. why doesn't wesley just tell buttercup it's him from the second he saves her?" matt asks, looking down at her smiling, his arm around her.

"because, matthew. he wants to know if buttercup even still cares about him and loves him. if he told her right away, it would ruin the surprise. that way he can keep the mask on, ask about himself, and if she doesn't love him anymore, then he can just save her anonymously, duh." kaia rolls her eyes.

"but why would he care? wouldn't he just convince her to be with him anyway?" he asks, confused.

"not necessarily. what if her parents made her change her mind because she thought he died? what if she moved on with humperdink?" kaia laughs like it's obvious.

"humperdink?! what kind of motherfucker's name is humperdink?" nick laughs, enthralled.

"the short king who wants to marry buttercup." chloe answers nick.

"tough life with a name like that." chris chuckles, sipping his pepsi and watching the movie.

"don't you guys get it? wesley did everything he could to not die as a pirate so he would be alive to see her again." kaia throws her hands up in defeat.

"the way they talk is so corny." matt laughs.

"oh, please. if you were a farmboy turned pirate badass coming back from the dead to save the love of your life IN COSTUME, you wouldn't talk a little corny?" kaia asks.