23

irl

matt wakes up in the middle of the night from a dream. he sits up in chris' bed and rubs his eyes. he uses his phone flashlight to find his way to the bathroom.

tiredly, he pees and washes his hands, flicking the lightswitch off. from muscle memory, he finds his way to his bedroom in his half awake state.

the door creeks open and he uses the brightness of his lockscreen to find his bed.

he sees kaia sprawled out on his bed, the blankets half on her body, half on the mattress, and he stops in his tracks.

he watches her for a moment, admiring her beauty but also knowing he needs to leave the room.

she grunts and rolls over in bed, still asleep but now facing matt. he studies her face like it's the last time he'll ever see it, and forces himself to turn around and leave.

he makes his way back to chris' room and falls back asleep there, thinking of her.

"kids! school!" jimmy shouts from downstairs.

matt and chris wake up at the same time, and nick is already awake downstairs.

since nick is already ready for the day, he walks upstairs to wake kaia up.

"kaia. babe, you gotta get up for school." nick nudges her gently.

she grunts and turns over in the bed.

"kaia." she softly shakes her again.

"i'm getting up, mom." she mumbles.

"i'm nick, not your mother." he laughs.

she is half awake, and once she registers what he just said, she jolts up.

she looks around the room, and at who's bed she's in.

"fuck." she covers her mouth.

"it's fine. he's in chris' room." nick laughs again.

"he's here?!" she whisper-shouts.

"he insisted on coming home early last night." nick says.

"nick. i'm not ready to talk to him. yesterday was an adrenaline thing." she sighs.

kaia rubs her face and runs her fingers through her hair.

"james." she mutters.

"don't worry about him. he's out of the picture." nick comforts her.

"you don't get it, nick. i thought he was the one. now i'm never gonna fall in love." she huffs.

at that exact moment, matt and chris walk past the bedroom and matt's ears perk up when he hears what she said.

"why do you care so much about falling in love? you're about to turn 18, you're still so young." he says.

"i know. i don't know why this is such a big deal to me." she shakes her head.