Chapter 3 - Life is Good

"Shawn, Faye! So you two are dating! That's totally awesome!" I tried my best to hold back the tears forming in the back of my eyes.

"Yeah, I should have told you sooner, I'm sorry!" Faye gave me a small smile.

"Oh it's fine. I'm glad to see you two are happy! I should head to my class."

I walked past them quickly. Only when I turned the corner did I feel comfortable with shedding tears.

Why didn't I expect this? He's hot, musical, sweet, you name it! But he was never mine to begin with. I was dreaming with a fantasy that could never happen.

•••

"How was your first day of school?" My mom smiled at me.

"It was fine I guess."

"Just fine?"

"Yeah, I mean I don't really know what else to say mom."

I dragged myself upstairs and slammed the door of my room shut.  I should have known, I shouldn't have been an idiot.  OF COURSE HE'S NOT SINGLE!

I collapsed on my bed as my phone rang.  I picked it up and answered the unknown number.

"Uh... hello?"

A familiar voice came over the speaker, "Hi is this Lily?"

"Yeah who's this?"

"It's Shawn, Faye gave me your number."

"O-oh, what's up?"

"I was wondering if you and your family would like to come over for dinner tomorrow night?"

"That sounds great, I'll ask my parents but I'm pretty sure they'll say yes."

"Sweet, I'll see you tomorrow at school!"

He hung up and I was left in silence. It hurt, it really hurt. I didn't have a problem with being just friends with him, I just wish I could be more than that. But we just met, so that couldn't have happened right away anyway.

My life was honestly pretty great, I got to go to high school with freaking Shawn Mendes, we were friends on the first day, I'm friends with his girlfriend, I live in a super nice house, I'm really lucky.

I guess I miss my home, L.A. is where I grew up and where my roots are. I miss the beach and my friends and the fresh air.  Don't get me wrong, Toronto is beautiful, it's just not what I'm used to.

The sky was turning rosy as I closed my window on the chill air.  Still not used to the cold this early.  It'd usually be around 85 degrees this time of year.

Grabbing what little homework I had along with my phone and purple headphones, I bounced downstairs to our cluttered kitchen table.

"Hey mom, Shawn invited our family to have dinner at his house tomorrow."

"Shawn who, honey?"

"Shawn Mendes."

"I'm sorry, who's that again?  His name sounds familiar."

"Only the hottest guy in the world!!"  Bailey interjected.  "Oh Lily can I come?  What's he like?  Is he as amazing in person?"

"Oh wait, is he that guy I took you to go see at The Forum last year?"

"Yeah mom.  Bailey of course you can come, it's an invitation for our whole family.  And yes, he is as amazing in person as he is on stage."

Bailey squealed in delight and enveloped me in a tight hug.  "Can we go mom, can we can we can we???"