Chapter 5 - Thinking About It

(A/N: the song above is what Lily sings later in the chapter)

"So what brings you to Toronto?" Karen asked my family.

"Things were getting slow at my work, so I decided to pack up our family and move out here."  My dad explained.

"Surely there must be more to the story than that.  Why leave the United States?"

"Well, the company I worked for was nationwide, and because of some things that happened, the whole corporation lost it's reputation.  So everyone had a choice, keep working a slow job, or leave and be known for working for a disreputable company. I stayed at my job for a while, then the pay became too low to afford our condo, so I left. And I couldn't find work in the U.S., so I decided to try Canada.  And that's how the Ryder family got here."

We nodded in agreement when my dad finished telling our story. I glanced at Shawn from across the table and he returned my gaze and smiled.

"You know Mr. and Mrs. Ryder, you have a lovely family." He turned his attention to my parents.

"Why thank you honey," my mom gave him a sweet smile.

Silence hung over the table for a while, only the clinking of our metal utensils against the glass plates made noise.  This all felt natural, it seemed as if this was meant to be.  I knew the Ryders and the Mendes would be good friends.

•••

"What can I help with Mrs. Mendes?" I smiled and started bringing in the dishes.

"Call me Karen," she chuckled and grabbed the plates, "and nothing I can think of at the moment."

I nodded and made my way out of the kitchen to where Shawn, Aaliyah, and Bailey were sitting.  They all looked up at me and motioned for me to sit.

"Shawn's showing Bailey his guitar picks."  Aaliyah told me.

"Oh how cool!  How many do you have Shawn?"

"Ummm, last time I counted, there was 47."  He sifted through them in his hand.

"Oh dang.  I only have 10 haha."

"You play guitar?"

"Yeah, I've been playing for three and a half years.  Plus I also play ukulele."

"No way!  I've always wanted to play ukulele.  I hope to buy one and play it for my kids one day."

"You can borrow mine if you want."

"You'd let me borrow it?"  He stared at me in anticipation.

"Of course!  Anytime you want to use it just let me know!"

Something like an excited woop and a squeal escaped his lips and he hugged me.  "You're the sweetest girl ever!"

My heart fluttered a little and I hugged him back. "Anything for you Shawnie."

Aaliyah and Bailey gave each other looks then grinned at us. "Shawly or Lilawn?"

My eyes widened and I nervously laughed.  Shawn didn't seem to catch it, or else he was playing it off better than I was.

"So Shawn, any exciting plans?"  Bailey smiled sweetly.

"Yeah actually!  I'm starting a world tour in about a month."

"Oh awesome!  Are you performing in Toronto?"

"Of course, always I gotta play in my hometown.  Hey, if you guys want, I can hook you up with some all access passes."