Chapter 36 - Reactions

"I knew this would happen!!" Bailey clapped her hands together. "I'm gonna be an aunt!"

Every single face had a different emotion, shock, fear, anger, disappointment, confusion, and joy. My mom looked like she wanted to say something but was holding back. Manny was the first one to speak.

"How far along are you?"

"20 weeks. We were going to go in to find out the gender soon." I replied, my voice quivering.

"Aaliyah, we're going to be aunts!!!" Bailey excitedly shook her shoulders.

"Son," my dad turned to Shawn, "You have a lot of nerve getting my daughter pregnant."

"Dad, it wasn't intentional," I cut in. "Besides, I'd do it again."

My mom looked at me, horrified. "Watch your language young lady."

I rolled my eyes and leaned into Shawn's chest. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. "I think it's time for my family to go," he said.

My eyes pleaded with him to stay, but in my heart I knew that it was best for both families, now that the news had been shared, to have their own time to talk about it. Manny and Karen nodded and began packing up their stuff.

My parents sat there in silence, watching the proceedings in front of them. Once everyone was ready to go, Shawn said goodbye to me and promised he'd be at my house 15 minutes early so we could talk before school. There was only a week left before graduation and we needed to be there for all of the stuff.

I kissed him and squeezed his hand. Aaliyah said bye to me, as did her parents. When they'd left, I didn't want to face my parents. Hoping to slip away, I crept upstair to my room and locked the door.

Tonight didn't go as I had hoped, but it did go as I'd thought. I don't know why I expected things to go poorly, maybe cause it seemed most likely, I guess I was right.

Just as I began nodding off to sleep, there was a knock on my door.

Oh dear.

I got up, unlocked the door, and opened it. My mom was standing outside with her arms folded. Not in a mean way, but in an 'I'm tired and don't want to fight you' way.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

She entered and sat down next to me on my bed. There were deep lines in her forehead.

"Zeke was born when my sister was 16."

I'd remembered aunt Rosy seeming a little young to be my cousin's mother. Now everything made sense.

"I... I just don't want you ending up unhappy." She pursed her lips.

"I won't be. Shawn will be there too so the baby will have a good life."

She looked skeptically at me, "I won't say I'm not upset about all this, but I am willing to help if you need it."

That's all I wanted to hear. A wide grin cracked my face and I hugged her. "Thank you mom. I love you."

"I love you too."

"What does dad think?"

She didn't respond right away. I sat there chewing on my lip while waiting for her. "He's not... happy. I honestly don't know what he's going to say when he calms down."