Chapter 50 - Regrets and Choices

Wait... what?!

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!" I shouted at the phone. Everyone in the coffee shop stared at me weirdly.

"Yeah, I guess they came over to tell mom the news about an hour ago. She picked me up from school right after that."

Don't get me wrong, I am so glad to have moved to Toronto, otherwise I wouldn't have met Shawn. But the nerve of my father to move his family between countries all because of an affair??

"I should have stayed. I need to come home now." I said through gritted teeth.

"No no, enjoy your time touring. We can hold our own. Because of this, I get to meet mom's hot date tonight."

"What do you mean?"

"Mom invited the guy she met on Tinder over for dinner tonight."

I groaned and squeezed Shawn's hand. "Be safe. I want to meet this guy as soon as I get back."

"Yes you should. Okay, I have to go. I love you sis!"

"I love you too munchkin."

I hung up the phone and cradled my head in my hands. Shawn wrapped his arm around me and kissed my head. "What's going on?"

"Faye is going to be my step sister."

He spit his coffee out all over the table. "Excuse me?"

"I guess my dad proposed." I picked my head up and sighed.

"That's... well... I'm sorry."

"Thanks. I really think need to go home."

"You can if you want to, but I'm sure your family has everything covered. Plus I could always use your help here."

"Okay," I rested my head on his shoulder. "I'll think about it."

We sat looking out of the window at all she people and cars that were passing by. There was a whole world out there that had no idea what we were dealing with, and vice versa.

I twiddled my thumbs while Shawn drank his coffee. Was I over reacting with this whole proposal thing? I most certainly did not want Faye as a step sister, and definitely not a step aunt to my and Shawn's daughter.

Two girls shyly walked up to Shawn and asked for a picture. He agreed and snapped a few with them. They smiled at me and congratulated us on the baby before leaving the shop.

Once Shawn had finished his drink, we walked back to our hotel, and then into the black van that was waiting to take us to the arena. When we got there, we dodged a few fans who were scanning the perimeter and looking for us.

Teddy and Brian were eating doughnuts as we walked backstage.

"First it's the cake, now the doughnuts. Man, you guys just love sharing." Shawn feigned offense.

"You snooze you lose bro." Teddy replied with a mouthful of food.

"Did you save me one?" I asked them.

"Of course we did!" He reached in the box and pulled out a sprinkled doughnut.

"Oh I see how it is. Butter up my girlfriend and treat me like dirt." Shawn threw up his hands and trudged towards the stage.

"He'll get over it," I called behind me as I followed him.

Andrew, Cez, and Vivian were having a discussion when I came over. "Lily!" Vivian smiled at me.

I waved and sat on the edge of the stage. Josiah jogged over to me and slung his camera over his shoulder.

"What's up?"

"Kinda regretting my life choices." I sighed and smiled ruefully.

"How so?"

"My dad is engaged to Shawn's ex's mom."

He pursed his lips, "Well that's awkward."

"No kidding."

Shawn started soundchecking Don't Be A Fool. I sang along and got off the stage to dance around on the floor. He couldn't keep a straight face for very long and began cracking up.

I stuck my tongue out at him while doing one of the worst pirouettes of all time. Was I skilled at ballet after taking it for a few years in elementary school? Absolutely not.

Vivian came over to where I was dancing and started recording me. She laughed and joined me after a while. We danced while Shawn and the band practiced. Granted, this was probably the worst dancing anyone has ever seen, but I didn't care.

Teddy and Brian jumped in to the party Viv and I were having, and we formed a train. Shawn noticed and he, Zubin, and Mike started playing a song to go along with our movement.

I led our train of dancers down the center aisle and towards the B stage where the moon effect was going to be. We turned once we hit the stage and headed back to the main stage.

The arena was lit up thanks to the lighting crew testing out the special effects for tomorrow. It was slightly warm inside, but thank goodness there was air conditioning.

Once all four of us got back to the stage, Shawn jumped down and hugged me. I booped his nose and he giggled.

"You're cute," I grinned.

"No you."

"Uno reverse card."

He rolled his eyes, "That's cheating."

"Come join our line and I'll let you win this argument."

"Deal," he slid in between me and Viv.

I started walking again and my friends behind me followed along to my movements. The rest of the crew stopped what they were doing to watch us look like fools.

I heard Andrew laugh and noticed he was recording all of our shenanigans. I motioned for him to join in, but he declined. After a while of dancing around in a line, our tribe disbanded for food. I for one had definitely worked up an appetite.

A catering company had set up near the dressing rooms and the food smelled delicious. Shawn let me go before him, such a gentleman. I loaded up my plate and sat down on one of the leather sofas some of the crew had pushed together.

Shawn came and sat down next to me and his warmth sent little tingles through my body. I leaned into him and planted a kiss on his cheek. A small smile formed at the corners of his mouth after my gesture of love.

He leaned down and reciprocated my action and rested a hand on my belly. Since I was closer to my due date, Shawn was slowly lessening my work load. I didn't have a super strenuous job, picking out clothes generally wasn't, but he wanted to help where he could.

I thought everything he did was super sweet. Some guys wouldn't care about this kind of stuff, but not Shawn. He took the time to make sure you were okay.

•••

"Five minutes till showtime!!" Vivian called out.

"Okay, do you have everything you need?" I asked Shawn.

"Yes, thank you." He nodded and sling his guitar strap over his shoulder.

"I would say break a leg, but I feel like you would actually do that. So give them the performance of a lifetime!" I hugged him.

"I will. I love you."

"Love you too! See you on the other side."

Vivian began counting down, signaling for Shawn to get into position. He squeezed my hand and shook her hand. Portland was in for a treat tonight.

A/N:

I'm not sure yet if there will be an update on Thursday. I'll try my best, but I'm going to the World War Joy concert that day, and I'm getting to the venue super early cause I have soundcheck. I hope you guys liked the chapter! I think it's really cool how Shawn's 'good luck' tattoo is identical to the writing on the saucer from Stumptown when he came to Portland. That shop definitely has some good coffee, I highly recommend it if anyone travels to Oregon. Comments and votes are appreciated! See ya in the next chapter! I love you all!!! XXX