Chapter 4 - Honest Conversations

I had hundreds of emotions during P.E. class. Shawn hadn't seemed to notice, which was a good thing. Jack was finally handing out the week's schedule and dismissing us.

Shawn, Faye, and I trumped into the cafeteria together, exhausted from our exercise.

"Wow, Jack worked us hard. I don't think I've broken a sweat that fast before!" I panted and wiped the perspiration from my face.

"Yeah, he's known for strenuous but fun workouts." Faye nodded her head.

"You did really well though Lily!" Shawn smiled.

"Thanks Shawn," my face flushed when I remembered his hands across my body.

Shawn's POV:

"Thanks Shawn." I notice her red face.

"You ok hun?"

"U-u-um yeah I'm fine."

The way she bit her lip drove me crazy. I really liked her, but I was in a relationship with Faye. I mean I wasn't happy with Faye, I didn't feel the same way anymore. It felt like we were just going through the motions.

I didn't want to keep saying "I love you" when I clearly didn't mean it. Maybe one of the songs on my new album will get through. I wrote a song called Three Empty Words about her.

Of course, it wasn't a good idea to be in a relationship in general, whether it was with Faye, or Lily, or anyone really. I had a big world tour coming up and I'd be gone for about 6 months.

Plus I wasn't really sure I was ready to be in a serious relationship. I thought what I had with Faye would be a summer fling.  I never felt truly happy being with her.

I needed to either work things out with her or break things off, I couldn't lead her on, that'd be a horrible thing to do.

•••

Lily's POV:

Shawn and I walked to his house after school. We just decided to hangout for a few hours until my parents came over at 6 o'clock. We got along like old friends, it was hard to believe we had just met the day before!

"Hey Lily, would you want to hear my new album? It's not supposed to come out till later this week, but I'd love it if you were the first person to hear it!"

I was genuinely surprised and happy, "Oh wow, I'd absolutely love that! I'm completely honored, are you sure?"

"Of course, I feel like I've known you forever and I'm excited to show someone my work. Although I want you to give me your honest opinion."

"Yeah definitely! Honesty is the best policy."

He smiled and handed me a CD. "I want you to do the honors."

I carefully inserted the disc into the player and switched it on. I listened to his album, it was called Illuminate, enjoying every moment of it. After the last song played, he looked at me with questioning eyes.

"So, what do you think?"

"Shawn, I don't even know what to say... it's amazing!"

"You really think so?"  He seemed so venerable, I couldn't describe just what I was seeing in his eyes, but something was revealing itself to me.  He wanted me to hear his album before everyone else could, that was a very special thing to do.