Chapter 18 - Sickness

Three weeks later:

Shawn, his team, and I had been on the road, or rather the sky, for the past five weeks. Touring was a dream come true. It was so cool to see the world and be able to immerse myself in all the new cultures.

We'd been all throughout the U.K. and France, and now we were heading to Spain. Barcelona was our first stop, which made me really excited.

The flight from Paris to Barcelona wasn't a super long one, luckily for me. I hadn't been feeling great at all today. I was majorly nauseous and almost threw up at least seven times.

"Mesdames et messieurs, votre avion embarque maintenant. Veuillez vous rendre de façon ordonnée jesqu'á la porte. Avior un vol merveilleux. (Ladies and gentlemen, your plane is now boarding. Please make your way in an orderly fashion up to the gate. Have a wonderful flight.)"

Finally, we've been waiting in this terminal forever.

It was 11:23pm and I was worn out. I could tell Shawn was too, he kept nodding off in his chair. To keep from paparazzi from spotting him, he wore a beanie pulled down low and had changed the sweatshirt he was wearing.

Since we all had first class, we got to board the plane first. I had my carry on bag along with a backpack of some of Shawn's stuff. I slung the bags over my shoulders and stood up with the rest of the group.

Shawn shuffled over and stood next to me. "Be honest, how many times did I fall asleep?"

"Eleven times," I chuckled. "Mike and I started making bets about it and I won so he owes me a sweatshirt when we get to Barcelona."

"Seriously you two?!"  He shook his head in a jokingly disapproving way.

I laid my head on his arm as we walked into the plane. I needed sleep, hopefully this sick feeling will go away in the morning.

When the plane took off, that's when things got bad. I had an aisle seat so I guess it could have been worse. The motion and shaking of the plane set my stomach off.

Without even realizing what I was doing, I bolted to the closest bathroom and threw up the contents of my stomach into the toilet. The seat belt sign hadn't turned off yet so all the flight attendants were shouting at me.

I began sobbing on the floor. I wanted to go home. Shawn and Vivian appeared at the door. They both looked very concerned. Vivian cleaned me up and Shawn gave me his hoodie to change into since mine got some stuff on it.

Since none of us knew whether I had a virus or food poisoning, we thought it best if I not sit next to Shawn for the remainder of the flight.  So instead I switched seats with one of the crew and sat with Vivian.

I threw up two more times after that before I finally stopped.  I was able to eat some saltine crackers and had half a can of ginger ale.  Ginger is supposed to be good for nausea.

•••

The next morning I rolled over in bed and smiled, still nothing, I felt great! There was a red rose on my nightstand with a note:

I hope you feel better today Lily!  I'll see you very soon.
Love,
Shawn xx

He is the sweetest angel on this planet I swear.  I heard a shuffling in the other part of the room, Vivian must be up.  Sure enough, her head popped through the door.

Before I was even able to say good morning to her, I jumped out of bed, sprinted to the bathroom, and threw up everything from the previous night.  My sides and throat hurt from all the vomiting. Never mind about feeling great.

After making myself presentable again, I curled up into a ball on the bed and cried my eyes out.  I hadn't been this sick since I was little!  I forgot how much this sucked.

Another wave of nausea hit me and I sprinted to the bathroom.  I almost didn't make it before emptying the remaining contents of my stomach into the toilet again.

Vivian's voice was a faint echo as I kept puking my guts out.  I think she said something about calling a doctor, I was too out of it to notice.

When I finally cleaned myself off, I slowly stumbled back to bed and continued to cry. Why was I so sick??? Nothing made sense. I hadn't eaten anything weird, my sleep schedule was starting to become normal, and I was relatively healthy!

Vivian came back in the room and ran over to me.  "Hey, I'm going to take you to the doctor ok?"

I nodded in response and sighed. She grabbed the bucket for ice and lined it with a small trash bag. We walked out the door and to the elevator, which took us to the lobby.

I managed to not need the bucket the entire car ride. But as soon as I stepped out of the car, I hurled. Luckily the bucket caught the majority of the stuff.

Vivian helped to wipe my mouth off and dispose of the trash bag.  Once everything was settled, we made our way inside the emergency room.  The receptionist at the desk took down my information and within a couple minutes, I walked back alone.

The nurse took my vitals and had me pee in a cup.  She then led me to a curtained off room with an examination table.  I then had to talk about my medical history and the symptoms I was having today.

After she was finished questioning me, I was able to lie down on the table until the doctor was able to check in on me.  I closed my eyes and tried to relax as much as I could.

Great, I'm in the ER in a foreign country.  My parents will never let me go anywhere again.

I opened my eyes when the curtain was pulled aside. The doctor came shuffling in, clipboard in hand. "Do you have any family that is present?"

"Um... no, why?  Is everything ok?"  My heart started pounding in my chest.

"Everything is just fine.  Do you have anyone you wish to be in here with you?  Do you have a boyfriend?"

A small smile escaped my lips as I thought of Shawn, "No."

"Ok," he cleared his throat and shuffled through his papers, "Well, as I said, everything is fine.  There is nothing wrong with you."

I sensed hesitation in his voice, "But?"  I wanted to scream and shake the doctor.  He didn't seem to realize that a scared 18 year old was hanging on to every word he said.

"Congratulations Miss. Ryder, you are pregnant." He smiled widely.

Pregnant...

A/N:

Dun dun dun!!! Haha although this shouldn't be a surprise based on the title of this story. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!  Comment and vote if you want!  Love you guys!! XXX