Chapter 49 - On the Road Again

I collapsed in the worn leather chair that slumped in the corner of my and Shawn's hotel room. Today had been full of soundcheck and exploring and I was definitely ready for a break.

My feet were sore and my legs felt like jelly. The sugar in the smoothie I'd drank earlier was finally wearing off. Coffee sounded so good right now, but I had to keep reminding myself that caffeine wasn't good for the baby.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. It was a text from Bailey.

Bailey- So mom is currently out tonight with that guy she met on Tinder

Me- How long has she known him exactly?

Bailey- It's officially been 4 days as of today

Me- That woman does not need a man to prove her point to dad that she can live without him

Bailey- I know, but he is pretty hot. She showed me a picture of him. He looks about 10 years older than you

Me- Mom has become a cougar

Bailey- At least if things don't work out between you and Shawn, there's always this guy

Me- Shut up and goodbye

Bailey-  😘👋🏻

I rolled my eyes and put down my phone, I swear that child. A knock sounded on the door and I got up to see who it was. Teddy and Brian were standing outside with a giant chocolate cake.

"What's that for and can I have some?" I opened the door and motioned them inside.

"We got it cause it looked tasty, and of course you can." Teddy gently set down his prized possession on the table and began cutting thick slices.

The second he handed me my plate, I dug into the food. It was super moist and so delicious. I moaned and closed my eyes.

Teddy snickered at me. "I should probably tell Shawn that this cake can make you feel better than he can."

I stuck my tongue out at him and continued to eat in ecstasy. "Speaking of him, where is he?"

"He went out with Joshua to take some pictures before it's dark."

"Okay."

"How's your fam fam doing?"

"They're good. Bailey texted me earlier and said my mom is out on a date with her Tinder match tonight."

Teddy put down his cake, "No way! How long have they been talking?"

"Apparently only 4 days."

"Oh wow. Well, kudos to her for not staying down in the dumps about your dad."

"Yeah, but I don't understand why she had to pick someone so young. Bay said he looked about 10 years older than me."

Brian choked on his cake, "What did you say?"

"She's a cougar." I crossed my arms and sighed.

"Well obviously," Teddy turned to me, "No offense."

"No, I feel the same way."

The three of us ate the rest of our cake in silence. Shawn came back with a big grin on his face about 2 hours after the guys left. He held his hand behind his back and ran over to kiss me.

"What do you have there Mendes?"

"A little something for you." He pulled his hand from behind his back to reveal a small, flat box.

I raised an eyebrow and took the box from his outstretched hand. It was wrapped in green paper and was tied off with a purple bow. I removed all the wrapping and opened the box to reveal a small, rose gold necklace. The charm was in the shape of a rose.