Chapter 19 - News and Secrets

"Excuse me?" I was completely shocked.

"Yes! I can refer you to a good doctor if you'd like."

"Um," I was in a daze, "Yeah that would be great. Thank you."

The doctor nodded and wrote a name down. I took the paper and walked out. My legs were really shaky.

"Hey! Are you okay? You look white as a ghost." Vivian ran up to me.

"Yes, I'm fine. We need to see another doctor, today if possible."

"Oh, yeah of course!"

"Thank you for everything." I gave her a weak smile.

We walked out of the ER and I called the office the doctor gave me. Luckily they took walk-ins so we drive straight there.

"Would you mind waiting in the car?" I asked Vivian.

"Oh, not at all," she smiled at me.

"Thanks," I was still all shaky as I got out of the car.

"See you after!"

"Okay."  Summing up all my courage, I walked towards the menacing building, unsure of my future.

Luckily the first door I came upon was the correct office.  I pushed the door open and walked up to the receptionist.

"Hi, I just found out I'm pregnant and I don't know where to go from here.  I'm from Canada but on vacation."

"Okay, please fill out these forms and one of our doctors will take good care of you."

I took the stack of papers she handed me and sat down in one of the chairs.  I filled out all the information to the best of my knowledge and carried them back to the desk.

Within a few minutes, a nurse called my name.  She took my height, weight, blood pressure and all the other information nurses take.  Then she led me to one of the examination rooms.

"I have to ask, is the father in the picture?"

"Oh, um, I don't know.  It was a one time thing.  We're just best friends."

"Ah I see, okay. Do you know an approximate date of conception?"

"My birthday, November 23rd."

"Birthday sex, that's common among teens."

I blushed and stared at the floor. "So what's the plan?"

"Well, I'm going to draw some blood to test your levels of hCG, human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone that will help us determine exactly how far along you are and set an approximate due date, then I'm going to do an ultrasound and see how things are going."

"Sounds like a plan."  I laid down on the examination bed.

The ultrasound was uncomfortable, I had particular taste when it came to what was stuck up certain places. The nurse showed me the screen, and my heart melted. There was a little human inside of me.

I teared up and smiled. Shawn and I created this person. No matter what the future holds, I'm going to love this child with every fiber of my being. Even though there wasn't much developed yet, I felt a deep connection.

"Thank you."  I grasped the nurse's hand, "This means more to me than you'll ever know."

"You are absolutely welcome."  She smiled at me and printed the ultrasound pictures.  "I'll put these in an envelope for you."

She walked over to one of the drawers, put the pictures in the envelope, and gave them to me. The doctor knocked on the door and came in.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Gomez." He introduced himself.