Chapter 39 - It's a...

It was now Thursday afternoon. I'd spent the past 3 nights at Shawn's house. My mom did ask where I was and I said at a friend's house. I mean I wasn't lying, Shawn was a friend, a boyfriend.

We were on our way to my doctor's appointment to find out the gender of our baby. Or I guess technically give Vivian the results so she could plan our gender reveal party.

The hospital wasn't crowded when we walked in. We were able to get checked in and find a seat within a few minutes.

A nurse called my name and Shawn and I followed her into the back. She took my height and weight, I had gained almost 25 pounds. Unfortunately I was still the same height. I guess that's what happens when you have all your growth spurts early.

Shawn and I were taken into a room with blue walls and little clouds on the ceiling. We waited there until one of the doctors came in. "Hi, I'm Dr. Allison, but you can call me Allie."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lily. And this is Shawn."

He smiled at her and she nodded. "Yes, I know of Mr. Mendes. My mother delivered both him and his sister. That's why I'm so thrilled to be your doctor, the three of us are continuing the family business."

"Oh how cool!" I exclaimed.

Allie had me lay down on the table while one of the nurses prepped me for the ultrasound. The jelly was as cold as usual and Shawn laughed at my grimaced face.

Then she began swirling the wand around my belly, looking for the heartbeat. It was relatively easy to find. Once the light on the monitor started flashing, I heard the beautiful swishing sound of the baby's heart.

Shawn squeezed my hand and I could see tears shimmering in his eyes. I didn't hold back, not that my hormones would have let me anyway. I was a sobbing mess.

The nurse smiled at us. "Would you like to know the sex of your baby?"

"No thank you. But if you wouldn't mind writing it down, my friend is throwing a party for us." I replied.

She nodded and wrote down the information on a piece of paper. Allie thanked her and handed me both the slip of paper and the ultrasound pictures.

"I'll see you at your next appointment."

"Goodbye, thank you Allie." Shawn and I waved as she left the room.

We got ready to go as well. "I'm so excited for the party. I wonder how we'll find out!" I grinned.

"I agree! And I wonder when Vivian will schedule the event."

We had made her promise that she would plan the party on a surprise date. That way it's extra exciting. Besides, I loved surprises.

Shawn slung my bag over his shoulder and grabbed my hand. We walked our together and back outside. A guy came walking up to us with a big smile on his face and a camera in hand... paparazzi.

"Shawn and Lily, how does it feel knowing you're going to be teen parents?"

We ignored him and continued walking. As long as we didn't say anything he can't get paid for more than just pictures of us.

"Oh come on, can't I have one answer? Your fans deserve the inside scoop!" The guy was getting on my last nerve. He followed us all the way to the car and didn't stop repeating basically the same thing.

"Your loss." I heard him say as Shawn slammed his door.

I swear, one of these days I was going to snap and beat the crap out of the paparazzi who came at me with a camera. They were so disrespectful, I couldn't believe what some people would do in order to get a 'hot' story.