Chapter 45 - Broken Home

Okay, how am I going to do this? My mom will be heartbroken. But this needs to be said cause I'm sure my dad has no intention on telling any of us.

After changing out of my dress and into my penguin onesie, I searched the house for my mom. She was sitting in bed reading a book. My dad was obviously not here, most likely over at Faye's mom's house.

"Hey mom, can I talk to you?" I rolled my sleeves in my hands.

"Of course! Come sit with me." She patted he space next to her.

I crawled into the bed and snuggled in. "I don't know how to tell you this. I'm only 99.9% sure-"

"Just cut to the chase Lily."

"Dad's cheating on you with Shawn's ex's mom." I blurted out.

My mom looked stunned and confused. "What makes you say that?"

"I overheard Faye talking about how she caught her mom multiple times doing it with a guy from her graphic design company named Forrest who kind of recently moved here."

"You're positive you heard this?" I saw her jaw clinch.

"Yes," I nodded. "And he paid her $200 to keep quiet about it."

She stuck her tongue in the side of her cheek and chuckled ruefully. "And I thought the guy cared. His late nights 'at the office' make perfect sense now."

"I'm sorry for dropping this on you."

"No, I needed to know. Thank you for telling me," she hugged me tightly.

"What are you going to do?"

"I should have a young stud over."

"MOM!" She was the last person I expected to hear those words from.

"I'll also inflict emotional pain on him. He needs to know that his cheating affects more than just me, it affects his children and grandchild."

I didn't know what to say. This hurt me so much. I thought a husband was supposed to always love and cherish his wife. Would Shawn do this? Would he cheat on me? My parents were so happy as I was growing up, was it all a lie? Did Shawn not truly care about me either?

These and much darker thoughts started swirling through my mind. "If you don't mind, I'm going to go to bed."

"Of course dear, you must be really tired from all that dancing."

"Yeah," I nodded and kissed her cheek. I waved to her and went to check on Bailey, who was fast asleep. She's going to be heartbroken when she hears the news.

My bed was warm and inviting as I slid under the covers and buried my head in my pillow. All my emotions of the day, excitement, love, anger, and sadness all flooded out of my body via the tears that were staining my pillowcase.

•••

I must have fallen asleep in the cockeyed position I was in last night cause my neck was super sore. My alarm didn't go off for some reason, I had four missed calls from Shawn, and I was supposed to be at rehearsals for the North American tour at 11am... and it was 2:13pm.

My phone starting ringing at that moment, and I almost didn't want to answer it. I knew exactly who was calling. But, duty calls.

"Hi Shawn."

His voice sounded frantic, yet relieved. "Where are you??? There's rehearsal today!"

"Alarm didn't go off and I my night wasn't the best."

"Oh, I'm sorry. You need to talk about it?"

"Not over the phone. I'll be there in about an hour."

"Okay, I love you. Be safe. I'll see you in a bit."

I hung up and dropped my head into my hands. Well this day started out amazing. And yes, there are rocks at the bottom.

Since I hadn't cleaned my room in a million years, all my clothes were on full display for my choosing. I decided to go with a blue maxi skirt with a black tank top.

When I came downstairs to pack up some food for the trip, I saw my dad sitting at the table on his phone. He looked up and smiled at me. I forced a smile and turned my back to him.

"How was the prom? Sorry I couldn't see you off, work was crazy yesterday."

"The prom was... enlightening. I learned so much about a lot of stuff. And don't worry about it, I'm sure you had a good reason for missing your daughter's only prom."

He gave me a stern look, "Listen, I had very important things to do. I'm very sorry. I'll make it up to you sometimes. Maybe a father daughter dance?"

"It's whatever," I shrugged my shoulders. I wanted to punch him so badly. "Hey, so you remember my best friend right? Her name is Faye."

"Yeah, blue hair?"

"Well technically black hair, to blonde hair, to blue hair." I counted off all the colors. "But she hasn't hung out since her hair was black. How did you know she has blue hair?"

He had a panicked expression on his face. "Oh, uh..."

I caught him. "Wait a sec, she was here a few days ago, you must have seen here then."

"Ah right, I remember."

Such a liar, oh my god. Faye hadn't be to my house since last year. "Well, I'm gonna go. I have to help with rehearsals for tour."

"Bye honey!"

"Dad, don't call me that. Shawn calls people that."

"Oh, sorry. Bye then."

I grabbed my snacks and ran out to my car. I needed to get out of there before I did or said something I regretted.

My car was super inviting as I slid into the drivers seat. The travel time to the warehouse where Shawn was practicing was about 45 minutes, and I had to drive here every Saturday. I'd spend the night since Saturday and Sunday were practice days and I really didn't want to be driving back and forth 3 hours every weekend.

When I arrived, I saw Josiah, Vivian, and Andrew talking outside. I parked my car and jogged over to them.

"Hi guys! Sorry I'm late."

"Lil! You came! We were all getting worried." Vivian enveloped me in a hug. "How was the prom?"

"Life problems, gotta love them. And prom was pretty good."

"You and Shawn?" She smirked.

"No, since we had this today we couldn't."

"Sorry, I would have told you guys to come late if I had known." Andrew apologized.

"No it's all good. It gave me a chance to talk to my mom."

"Well that's good. Oh, and Shawn's waiting for you inside."

I nodded and leisurely strolled into the huge building. Sure enough, the second I walked through the backdoors, Shawn came charging for me. "BABE!! YOU'RE HERE!!!"

"YES I AM!!" I matched his enthusiasm.

"I'm so happy now. Tom was giving me hell cause I was getting so distracted since you weren't here."

"Well tell him everything is all good now. And be nice to him, he's trying to help you. Besides, he's worked with Taylor and Justin so obviously he knows what he's doing." I chuckled as we walked arm in arm back to the stage.

"Well I gotta get back. Sit in the front row will ya?"

"Always Mendes." I kissed his hand before he bounced back up on the makeshift stage.

A/N:

I just had a huge idea of how to develop a certain part of this story *evil smile*. Also, funny story. So Tom, Shawn's performance teacher, taught a music camp I attended a few years ago. Taylor Swift's old guitarist, Grant, taught one of my classes as well!! Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I'll see ya in the next one! Comments and votes are appreciated. I love you all!!! XXX