Rescue

❤︎

Rescue

Part 7

Kongpob's POV

Something is definitely wrong today. When I walked into class, I noticed that many of my classmates were whispering and sneaking glances at me. What on earth did Arthit do now??? I'm positive that this has something to do with him — the bane of my life. 

True enough, after I slumped into my seat and dropped my bag on the floor, Mike, Jessica and a few others started crowding around my table with varying degrees of sympathy on their faces.

"Arthit is so ungrateful!" Mike started, groaning aloud. Ungrateful? My eyebrows rose slightly — that is the least of his faults. Lacking in intelligence, clumsy, irritating, childish etc yes.

Ungrateful?? Isn't he always going around apologizing to us or thanking us?

"Ahhh another shocking news on the blackboard," another of my classmates said.

"What news?" I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"You don't have to protect him, we know that he actually stole that from your house," another classmate looked at me with a condoling yet admiring glance. I must say that was indeed a difficult feat to achieve. Aaahh so it must be about that baka living in my house? Well, I was surprised it took everyone that long to find out. The secret was bound to come out anyway, so I was not mad about it. They were just jealo—wait, they're talking about Arthit stealing something???

My arrogant classmates went on and on criticizing Arthit and consoling me for having to put up with him living at home. It was all quite unwarranted and strangely enough, I found their comments extremely irritating. 

I frowned slightly and pressed my lips together tight. When I realized what I was doing, I quickly relaxed and slipped back into my usual expressionless mode — it is never a good strategy to let others know how you feel. Just as I thought I had regained control over my emotions, Jessica had to comment.

"He puts up with him because he has no other choice. Isn't it, Kongpob?" She leant towards me with a knowing look that I found absolutely intolerable. Come on, even that stupid baka was better than Jessica with her hypocrisy and insinuating ways. 

I ignored them totally, turning aside in exasperation. Why on earth can't they leave me alone and why do they have to keep bugging me about Arthit? What business was it of theirs anyway? After all, he is my parent's friend's son, so can't they just mind their own business?

"So how much did he steal?" Mike concluded after his slurs on Arthit's intellect and moral character.

"That person didn't take anything." I had enough — more than enough actually. Pushing my chair back with a loud screech, I stood up and began to walk out, unable to endure spending a moment longer in the class. My fists were balled up tightly in my jeans pocket. I was afraid that if I stayed a moment longer, I would lose control of myself and throw something at Mike.

"You're still protecting him!" Jessica's aggrevated accusation rang through the room. I froze for a second. Was that true? Whether it was or not, I only felt scorn for Jessica and whatever she was trying to achieve. 

I slowly turned my head and looked directly at her, icy contempt blazing from my eyes. She lowered her head and for the first time, a distressed expression was on her face. I took a deep breath to calm the fury that was rushing through my veins. With a final cold look at Jessica, I left the room.