Home alone

❤︎

Home alone

Part 8

Arthit's POV

The "stealing" incident and problems with both Daniel and Kongpob had me seriously think about the inconveniences of staying with others. I suddenly felt an urge to see if the repairs on our house has already been completed, so we could move out as soon as possible. 

After my lessons were over, May and Aya both accompanied me as they lived near my previous home. I was expecting to see builders, trucks and tractors buzzing all around the place, working on a nearly completed new building. To our surprise, the place was strangely silent — there was not a single construction worker around. 

What made it worse was that the repair was obviously at most half done. The entire roof was still missing and only the wooden frames could be seen. I swallowed hard to get rid of the lump that rose in my throat at the sad sight of my previously loved home.

It would be a while before we could move back in here again.

❤︎

"Papa, why is the repair on our house not completed yet?" The question popped out of my mouth during dinner. "Do you know that there are no workers around at all? The roof is completely missing!" My voice grew in volume as I was starting to get a bit upset.

"I promise you I'll call up the engineer and find out what's happening, okay?" Dad said soothingly as he stroked my head gently. I nodded, pouting slightly. I was quite sure I saw Daniel glowing with happiness at the chance of us leaving soon.

"Please do so."

"Kongpob, how was your tennis practice?" Dad turned to Kongpob instead. I could tell that he was trying to change the subject and I understood why when I turned to look at Mrs Suthiluck. She was looking a bit upset at the hint that we might be leaving soon.

"It was fine," Kongpob answered politely.

After dinner, Kongpob's father and my Dad quickly got ready to leave the house. Apparently they were having a class reunion. Mrs Suthiluck was also supposed to go, but she decided not to so that she could look after us. Auntie, Daniel and myself went to send them off. Kongpob had turned back to answer the phone that was ringing persistently.

"Mum," for once there was an almost anxious tone in Kongpob's voice when he joined us after Mr Kongpob and Dad had driven off. "Grandma is sick and she needs you to go look after her." For a moment, the panic on Auntie's face was evident.

"Oh dear, your Dad has gone off already. What should I do?"

"Look mum, why don't you go and pack whatever you need. I'll get a cab for you." Kongpob said with just the slightest trace of impatience and she seemed to snap of her daze.

"Yes, please do that. Daniel, you're coming with me too."

"Mum! I don't want to!" Ignoring his protests, she swept into their rooms and finished packing their clothes in record time. When the taxi drove up to the house, she and Daniel were already dressed in their traveling clothes and we helped to put the luggage into the boot. Taking no notice of Daniel's sulks, she pulled him out of the door. Then she paused as she looked back at both of us.

"I trust that you two will behave by yourselves eh? Don't get into too much hanky panky!" She added with a wink and there was a mischievous twinkle in her eyes as she looked at both of us. "Arthit, ganbette (good luck!)."