Kongpob's "fiancee"

❤︎

Kongpob's "fiancee"

Part 43

Kongpob's POV

Just as I expected (though I had fervently wished for the opposite) Arthit and Jessica both applied for part-time jobs in Dad's company. And, he agreed quite cheerfully to hire them both, in spite of the angry looks that I was sending in his direction. 

At least I must say the Jessica is competent which is more than what I can say for Arthit. In the end, I had to ask Mrs Tania to veto his work. Thank goodness Mrs Tania somehow had developed a fondness for that baka and didn't complain at this unnecessary increase in her own workload. Sometimes, I really wonder how Arthit does it. All the grownups appear to adore and support him.

"Mr. Suthiluck."

"Yes?" I was standing up to send Mr. Pakorn, our business partner, off after our meeting when he suddenly paused in front of the door.

"I was wondering if you are engaged?"

I was rendered incapable of speech for an instance. Then, "No, I'm not, Mr. Pakorn."

"I have a granddaughter around your age and she's also unattached. I am very impressed by your knowledge and skills, Mr. Suthiluck. How would you feel if I arranged a marriage meeting for both of you?"

Again, I was shocked speechless for a moment, before I calmed myself and replied. "Is this for the benefit of both our companies?" I wondered if Mr. Pakorn wanted a merger with Dad's company and was hence proposing a "business" marriage. However, I was quite certain that the answer would be negative, which indeed it was. Mr. Pakorn was a successful business tycoon and there was no reason for him to be interested in merging his business with Father's small, faltering one.

So this meant a real marriage meeting with a real intention of getting me married into a successful and powerful family.

I was definitely not delighted by the news, but began thinking of ways to turn this into a business marriage of profit for my Father's failing company.

Maybe, this is the last hope to save it...

❤︎

At dinner the same evening, I dropped the bombshell. Arthit choked over his soup, Mama looked extremely upset and Daniel's eyes widened in shock.

"So Dad, what's your opinion?" I asked the only member of the family (other than Mr. Rojnapat who wasn't family anyway) who did not have any reaction.

"Kongpob, you should only marry someone you really like. Never marry for any other reason, otherwise you would only be miserable and it isn't fair to the other party." He replied to me after long pause. I had never seen Dad looking so serious before. It reminded me of the time when I shouted at them for not being able to make my own decisions and choose who I want to like. Was this the reason he was being so...calm about it? Letting me make the final decision?

...But why was I disappointed about him not stopping or trying to convince me otherwise?

I simply nodded with a deadpan look and continued to eat my dinner quietly, trying to gather my thoughts about what to do next.

❤︎

The next day, Arthit and I went to work together as per normal. We walked into the elevator and Arthit went to press the button to keep the door open for other people – at least I assumed that he wanted to press the "open" button. Well, that Baka got confused and pressed the "close" button instead, so that the lift door almost shut on this girl who was entering the elevator. Almost as a reflex action, I turned and forced the doors apart with my hands, before any damage could be done to the girl.