Chapter 53

Hope walked through the school barely seeing any of the other students. She knew she looked half-crazed, eyes wild and red from crying, but she couldn’t even feel her hands and feet, much less any sort of emotion about that . She was pushing her way through any obstacle in her path, human or not.
She didn’t stop until she reached Penelope’s room, pushing open the door without knocking. She knew Pen wouldn't mind, especially with an emergency this big.
The bare bed and blank walls made the boiling blood in her veins freeze. Hope backed out of the room, grabbing the arm of the first person to pass hard enough to leave bruises where her fingers were.
“Where is Penelope?” she demanded.
“Who?” The witch looked at her with wide eyes and drawn-together eyebrows. “I don’t know a Penelope.”
“What are you talking about? Everyone knows Penelope Park.” Hope deadpanned. The girl still looked confused. “She’s the most popular witch in this school?” Hope’s frustration was growing and the irritation was audible in her voice. 
“I can’t remember ever hearing the name Penelope Park.” The witch’s voice quivered. 
“She lives right here!” Hope bared her teeth, throwing a hand towards the door with the missing nameplate.
“I can’t - I mean, I don’t - I don't know.” 
Hope thought that if the witch’s eyes grew any wider, they would pop out of her head. But before they could, the witch pulled her arm out of Hope’s grasp and scurried off, glancing over her shoulder until she was certain Hope wouldn't follow her.