Chapter 83

Caroline looked down at the food in front of her, almost disgusted by it. "God, even food doesn't taste as good with your humanity off. Who knew eating was so emotional?"
Alaric waited a beat, trying not to pounce on his question. "Speaking of which … when do you plan to turn it back on?"
Caroline tilted her head happily. "When we kill Klaus."
"Did you talk to him?"
"Yep."
"And did he -"
"Try to convince me that Lizzie's alive? Yep." She took a deep breath. "And you know what? I made it all the way out to her grave with a shovel before I realized how crazy that was. I was not digging up our dead daughter on his whim."
"And are you … ready? For him to die?" Alaric asked cautiously. 
Caroline's smile didn't miss a beat. "I look forward to it."
"It's just that at one point -"
"I made a mistake. I should've killed him the first time."
"All I'm saying is that Caroline with her emotions on might -"
"Might what? Be too weak to carry it out?"
"- might feel differently." Alaric smiled patiently. "I think you owe that Caroline a chance to make her goodbyes."
"I … I think Hope should get one last chance to say goodbye to her father. And then I don't care what happens beyond that."
Alaric furrowed his eyebrows, something fuzzy in his mind, like a veil. "Have you seen Hope lately?"
"Uh … no, I haven't." Caroline looked just as confused. "Where has she been?"
"She didn't graduate last year, did she?"
"No, we … we would've remembered that." Caroline stared down at her food, eyes darting as she thought hard. "Wouldn't we have?"