Chapter 67

“You knocked my dad out?” Lizzie asked, crinkling up her nose at the empty road ahead of them. 
Hope shrugged. “He was going to try and stop me.”
“Yeah, well, the last time you knocked me out with magic, I saw your dead mother.” 
“You still have to tell me about that, by the way.” Hope checked the map again, for what was probably the fifth time during the same stretch of straight, uninterrupted road. 
“Not much to tell. She just said I couldn’t let you free your dad, and if you did, I had to help you put him down.”
Hope turned her head to look out the passenger-side window. It wasn’t that there was anything interesting out there - just endless empty fields of grass - but she didn’t want Lizzie to see her face. “She didn’t say anything else?”
“She loves you,” Lizzie said.
“Yeah, I know.”
The blonde cleared her throat and sat up straighter in her seat. “What you really want to know is what my mom told me when I died.”
“And what was that?”
“That I see dead people.”
“You know,” Hope’s voice got higher, “you mentioned that earlier, but I thought maybe you were just delirious from - y’know - death.”
“Not delirious, possibly crazy.” Lizzie took a deep breath and adjusted her hands on the steering wheel. “But according to my mom, I not only can communicate with our dearly departed but they will help resurrect me any time I die. So that’s neat. She also alluded to the fact that I may be able to incorporate it into my magic, but I don’t think she was exactly well-researched on that part.” She stopped, a thought visibly forming. “I wonder if I can control zombies.”
“Zombies?”
Lizzie smiled to herself. “Who knows?”
The car fell silent, and Hope watched the road go on. 
“Are you hungry?” she asked finally.
“A little bit.”
“There’s a nice restaurant in two exits.” She pointed vaguely up the road a bit.
“A nice restaurant?” Lizzie laughed. “Are you asking me on a date, Mikaelson?”
Hope scrunched up her face. “No.”
“Good. Because I’m not interested in you like that.”
Hope rolled her eyes at that and directed Lizzie through the twists of roads.