Chapter 92

“I know you’ve got your friends back,” Klaus said as soon as Hope walked in, stake tucked away behind her back. “I don’t suppose you feel enough appreciation to bring me another snack?”
She gave him no answer.
“Because I’m starving,” he pushed further. Another long moment passed, Hope still not answering. He leaned back against his cell wall. “But that’s not why you’re here.”
Hope arched an eyebrow, daring him to go on.
“I’ve heard the lot of you colluding. Alaric and Caroline too.”
“You’re not going to change my mind,” Hope said evenly. She reached a hand behind her, grasping the stake tightly.
“I don’t have to.” Klaus’ eyes were smug. “You have all the means to end me, and yet you’re here and I’m not dead.”
Hope let go of the stake, turning and screaming. Magic rolled off of her with the sound, Klaus’ bones cracking against the stone wall. She swallowed heavily, gasping for air. Klaus squeezed his eyes closed and tried to shut out the pain. 
“Let’s make one thing very, very clear,” Hope said lowly, her stomach turning. “I am not waiting to kill you because I’m afraid I’ll change my mind.”
Klaus blinked at her slowly, mouth hanging open as his vampire blood rushed to heal his concussion.
“I’m afraid that after you’re dead, I’ll still want to hurt you more.” Hope stood heavily, realizing only after she said it how much she meant the words. “I want to make you suffer first.”
Klaus laughed weakly. “You did inherit that vengeance from me.”