Chapter 73

Penelope sat up, blinking in confusion. Her hands pressed into a surface she couldn’t see. It was too dark to make out the ground underneath her. 
But when she saw the other girl standing above her, Penelope realized it wasn’t dark at all. 
“Hi.” Jade ran her palms over her jeans nervously, a shaky smile on her face.
Penelope stood up, a smile of her own on her face. “Jade.”
The vampire furrowed her eyebrows. “Do I know you?”
“I’m a friend of Hope’s.”
“Hope Mikaelson?” 
Penelope smiled at the sound of Hope's full name and nodded. “We’ve been looking for you.”
“You remembered me.” Jade dropped her eyes shyly, a smile 
“Hope tried to convince everyone else you existed but … we were the only two who actually remembered. She never gave up, though.” Penelope gave a little laugh. “She’s stubborn like that.”
“Yeah, she is.” Jade licked her lips impatiently, trying to swallow the hundreds of questions she had. “So where is she? Is she going to get us out of here?”
Penelope’s smile dropped, her eyes squeezing shut. “She and I had … an argument, and I thought I could figure out this pit on my own. I - I came here alone.” Penelope bit her lip for a moment. “Without telling Hope."
Jade sat down on the invisible ground, her entire body seeming to sink into the invisible ground. “We’re not getting out of here.”
“Hope will come get out.” Penelope sat across from her.
Jade shook her head. “She won’t remember us.”
“She remembered you. She’ll remember both of us.”