Chapter 14

Hope's steps towards the woods were quick and determined. It was like Lizzie knew she didn't want to be around anyone else and purposefully gave her the one chore where she didn't need to play nice. It wasn't as though Hope would struggle to hide all evidence of magic in the Old Mill anyways. It was mostly evidence of teenage rebellion that littered the floor - empty beer bottles, condom wrappers, and cigarette butts. She wondered if Dr. Saltzman would be upset if she hid it all behind a big concealment spell.
"Hey!" Landon hurried to catch up to her.
Hope turned slowly. "Hey."
"Lizzie said we still have to sign in." Landon motioned over his shoulder towards the table. Dr. Saltzman stood there, smiling and chatting with the other parents, and Lizzie and Josie stood off to the side, beaming as they directed contestants around the school. 
Hope nodded, eyeing the Saltzmans warily but making no move to approach.
"Lizzie also said I could help you out at the Old Mill."
"Did she?"
"I figured we could use the time, since I hardly ever see you anymore."
"I've told you, I've been busy." Hope's cheeks started to ache from holding the stiff, fake smile on her face.
"I know, I know. I'm just glad it's actual fun and not that imaginary girl again."
The smile slipped from Hope's face before she could stop it.
"It's not … is it?" Landon's own face fell, a cold fear piercing his gut.
"Are you seriously picking fights today of all days?" Hope demanded.
"I'm not picking fights."
Hope tilted her head at him.
"I'm not!" Landon stopped and sighed. "Can we just sign up for your contest-thing and get it over with?"
"Gladly." Hope began marching towards the table only to stop when she saw Dr. Saltzman meet her eye. "But let's just wait a minute."
"Why?"
Hope shook her head. "I just think he's hiding something."
"Yeah. Copious amounts of magic inside his secret magic school." Landon smiled.
"No beyond that."
Landon sighed again, louder this time. "Are you ever going to tell me what's going on?"
"Eventually," Hope lied through her teeth.