Chapter 99

“Mom gave me a lecture this morning about bullying Josie,” Lizzie said, kicking her feet up on the table coffee table.
“What did you say?” Landon asked.
Lizzie tucked her fingers into his curls, smiling at his concerned face. “That it wasn’t me doing it; it was Alyssa.” 
“And what did she say about your binders full of plans?” Hope smirked, stealing another one of Lizzie’s brownies from her plate.
“I don’t think she needs to know about that,” Lizzie said pointedly, narrowing her eyes playfully at Hope. “Do you?”
“Of course not.” Hope shrugged and leaned back into Penelope. “Roommate confidentiality.”
“And how is that going?” Penelope asked as she locked her arms back around Hope.
“Oh, I’ll let you know as soon as Hope gets to spend a night in the room.” Lizzie laughed. She passed Landon his tea.
“So, I take it that means you two are doing really well?” Jade smiled and motioned between Penelope and Hope. 
“Of course,” they said at the same time, catching each other’s eye and giggling. 
“Everything’s doing really well,” Lizzie said. She burrowed deeper into Landon’s side, holding her own cup of tea closer. 
Alaric and Caroline smiled at the five of them from the hallway, resting their heads on the door frame peacefully. 
“They’re all happy.”
“And safe.”