Chapter 39

Caroline stormed through the school hallways, and the students all moved aside. They knew she was on a mission just from the way she walked. Alaric was stepping outside his office when she appeared, teeth bared in all her fury.
“Just the person I was going to find. We need to talk,” Alaric said.
“Yeah we do!” She pushed past him and into his office.
“Okay.” He stepped back in and closed the door. “Uh, you first.”
“Lizzie and Hope are friends!” Caroline stopped pacing to throw her arms out.
Alaric sighed. He knew this conversation was coming. “You can’t keep the girls away from Hope just because of Klaus. It’s not fair to them, and it’s certainly not fair to Hope.”
“You know the prophecy as well as I do! Death to all witches, Ric! And what are Lizzie and Josie? They’re witches!” Caroline practically spat the words, eyes bulging wide.
“They’re kids! They all are!”
“Well Lizzie and Josie are our kids! And they’re safer if they’re nowhere near Hope Mikaelson.”
“You mean your secrets are safer.” Alaric put a hand on his hip and met Caroline’s steady glare.
“We started this school to keep our daughters safe. That’s all I’m trying to do.”
“I started this school to help supernatural kids be better.”
“Well then maybe that’s the problem.” Caroline threw her hands in the air in defeat. “We don’t have the same priorities.”
“The best way to stop the prophecy isn’t to isolate Hope.” Alaric tried to reason with Caroline. “We can help her -”
“Well I just don’t see it that way, Ric.” Caroline stepped dangerously close, eyebrows furrowed. Alaric half-expected to see fangs and dark veins next. Caroline's next words were just as vicious. “Hope should’ve joined her father.”
“Who are you?” Alaric recoiled in disgust. He could barely recognize the blonde vampire in front of him. The Caroline he founded this school with would've never suggested something like that.
“I am Caroline Forbes! I’m a mother of two! And I no longer have the luxury of having a big heart and a trusting disposition! When I give second chances, I get fucked over!”
Alaric took a breath. “So, this is more about Klaus than the prophecy.”
“It has nothing to do with Klaus and everything to do with the prophecy.” Caroline slammed her shoulder into his on her way out.
Alaric sank into the chair behind his desk, dropping his head into his hands.