Chapter 91

Lizzie’s steps were slow and hesitant as she approached Hope who sat on a bench by herself. “Hey, Hope.”
Hope turned, a smile on her face that slowly dropped when she saw who was standing next to Lizzie. 
“Yeah.” Lizzie grimaced at Hope’s reaction. “I brought backup.” Lizzie wiped her sweaty palms on her pants and sat next to Hope. “I had an idea. Since Josie is the one who knows where the white oak stakes are, I thought we could put aside our differences for the mission.” Lizzie glanced at Josie quickly. “And maybe she could have the chance to prove herself as an ally.”
Hope smiled dryly. “Not sure her helping me kill my dad proves or makes up for anything.” 
Josie’s eyes dropped to her feet, and Lizzie’s face went slack. She wasn’t surprised, but she didn’t have a response either. Hope sighed. 
“But she can help.”
Lizzie quickly motioned for Josie to sit on the other side of her. 
“So this is nice, right? A new team-up,” Lizzie started. “That’s always fun.” Her head bounced back and forth between Hope and Josie. “Right, guys?”
“Is it the fact that I’m happily dating your ex that makes this awkward?” Hope deadpanned, leaning across Lizzie to stare at Josie. 
“Oh.” Lizzie’s forceful smile fell into a pout.
“Actually, I was the one who broke up with Penelope so …” 
“Yeah, you’re right. It’s probably the other stuff anyways. Like burning my pageant dress or kissing my boyfriend.” Hope smirked.
Lizzie sat up straight. “I don’t think this is quite -”
“You cheated on him first! I was just helping him settle a score.”
“A score he didn’t want to settle in the first place.”
“You’re just -”
“We’re actually here to discuss murder!” Lizzie slapped her palms onto her thighs loudly, glancing between the two girls sternly. “Now. You, dearest sister, know the location of the only thing that can kill Klaus. And you, dearest bestie, get the honors of plunging it into his cold, dark heart. And then we will be in the clear.” Lizzie wrapped her arms around both their shoulders. “Everyone will have gotten something they wanted.” She pulled them both tightly to her shoulders. “And Klaus Mikaelson will be dead.”