Chapter 74

Hope tied her hair into a bun at the top of her head while she waited for Lizzie's story. “You have to tell me, you know. It’s the rules.” 
“You made up the rules!” Lizzie argued. Hope gave her a look, and Lizzie sighed. “Fine. But we have another hour. I have time to figure out how to say it.”
Lizzie watched the road, her heart pounding in her ears. She waited far too long to start speaking again.
“I caught feelings for one of my friends’ boyfriends - well, he’s her ex now, but …” Lizzie dropped her eyes guiltily. “I feel like even now that they’re broken up, he’s still off limits. I mean, girl code and all. That’s just wrong.” Lizzie swallowed heavily. “But I just … I love him -" Her eyes went wide. "I mean, I like him!”
“Did you talk to this girl yet?” Hope leaned across the car, oblivious to Lizzie's coated meaning. She smiled and singsonged in Lizzie’s ear, “I’ll bet she doesn’t even care.”
Lizzie thought about saying it. She was close. She could almost taste the words on her tongue. But she changed her mind at the very last second. “I will … eventually. I just don’t wanna ruin our friendship - me and the girl, I mean.”
“You should talk to her.” Hope nodded matter-of-factly, as though she were an expert on relationship advice and hadn't just explained how badly she'd fucked up her own relationship. “Sooner rather than later.” She laughed. “We really are tragic, aren’t we?”
“At least you got Penelope.” Lizzie leaned back in her seat. “I may never get this guy. Even with his ex’s stamp of approval … nobody says he likes me.”
“He would be crazy not to.” Hope’s eyes were warm as she looked at Lizzie. “And I don’t have Penelope. Penelope is in a hell dimension somewhere all alone.”
“But we’ll get her out.” 
"Yeah, we will."