Chapter 85

Lizzie walked down the quiet hallway. Hope and Penelope had slipped off to Hope's room, no doubt for a disgustingly romantic reunion, Lizzie thought. Jade had gone out on her own wordlessly, offering no explanation for her desire to walk around campus alone in the dark. 
And Lizzie … Lizzie had to go tell her family that she, in fact, was not dead. Her parents' office was empty and so were their bedrooms. Each door she approached, her heart leapt into her throat and each time she found an empty room, a wave of relief but also disappointment rolled over her.
She finally came to her own door, pushing it open slowly. Three bodies laid in her bed, still dressed in their day clothes and on top of the blankets. They were sound asleep, even when Lizzie closed the door behind her.
"Josie? Dad? Mom?"
Each footstep she took she was sure she was gonna wake them up, but she made it to the foot of her bed without any of them so much as stirring.
She placed a hand on Josie's arm. "Jo?"
That woke her twin up, her arms flailing in alarm.
"Lizzie?!" Josie squinted in the dark, reaching over Caroline to turn on the light. Her parents awoke on either side of her, sharing in her shock.
"So I know I have some explaining to do …" Lizzie started, wringing her hands nervously. "But I'm not dead anymore."