Chapter 64

“I … I died,” Lizzie said when they pulled back.
“I know.” Hope looked up at her softly, her voice even softer. “I missed you.”
“I missed you too.” Lizzie gave her a flickering smile, like she was happy but there was something else on her mind. “We have to talk.” She looked down the hallway, towards the source of all the noise. “Somewhere else.”
“Okay?”
They ducked into the closest room, closing the door behind them. 
“Okay.” Lizzie dried her sweaty palms on her dusty dress. “So - Well, I guess - Nope, before that. When you knocked me out, I saw your mom - I see dead people, it’s a long story - and she told me to tell you that you can’t let your dad out.” She tilted her head. “Now, since you already did that - not your fault - we have to find a way to kill him.”
Hope pulled a face. “I hear you,” she said. “But here’s the thing. He might be the only key to getting Penelope and Jade back.”
Lizzie’s eyes grew wide and her face went slack. “I remember!” Her mouth opened wide, almost edging on a smile. If her jaw wasn't so low, it might've been a huge grin. “I remember them! It’s like I died, and now my mind is crystal clear.”
“Good. Because we’re going on a road trip.”
“What?”
“To Fort Valley, Georgia. I got a name, a location, and some history of the pit out of my dad, and I need a partner.”
Lizzie raised an eyebrow skeptically. “And your dad just told you all this? Out of the goodness of what heart?”
“I bribed him a little bit to loosen his lips. Look, I will explain everything on the way and you can tell me all about dying, but I was thinking we head there, do some magic, get Jade and Penelope out, and then the four of us can find a way to end this - that is … if you’ll come with me.” Hope’s eyes silently pleaded with Lizzie, hoping Lizzie wouldn't call her out for the parts she'd glossed over.
“Fine." She sighed. “Only because I’m not ready to face my family yet - and you will owe me a big favor in the very near future.”
“Deal.”
Lizzie smiled. “I am so glad you didn’t ask what the favor was.”