Chapter 4

Penelope spotted Josie from down the hall. She stood, elbows on the railing, looking over all the students eating their breakfasts as if she were a queen looking over her kingdom. As soon as she spotted Penelope, she began to walk in the other direction.
"Hey!" Penelope called out pleasantly, quickening her pace. "Are you avoiding me?"
Josie stopped, eyes on the ceiling. "No, I just don't want to be around you." She looked in time to see her girlfriend's face fall.
"Did I make you mad?" Penelope had thought maybe it was an accident that Josie didn't unlock her dorm last night, that maybe it was a coincidence that Josie had managed to step out of the dining hall just as Penelope had entered, but now there was no doubt.
"Do I look like an idiot, Pen?" Josie's words are fast and venomous.
"Of course not."
Josie glared at Penelope as she twisted her pretty face into a sneer. "Alyssa Chang saw you and Hope Mikaelson sneak out after curfew last night."
"Yeah, we lifted the headmaster's car and fucked around with it." Penelope laughed lightly.
"Yeah, you fucked around all right," Josie snapped and turned back to looking over the dining hall.
"Josie ..."
"Just answer me honestly. Are you cheating on me?"
"No." Penelope stepped closer. "You don't even like to break rules, let alone laws. That's the only reason I didn't invite you along."
Josie stuck her chin in the air, a faint, satisfied smile on her face, one that she wouldn't let Penelope see. "It better be."
"You know I love you, Jo."
"As you should." Josie turned on her heels, disappearing down the hallway with a swish of her skirt.