Chapter 66

Josie sat at the long witches' table in the dining hall, head bent over a book, scribbling notes furiously. Rafael spotted her the moment he walked in, the space around her unusually empty. Where hordes of girls usually sat, hanging onto Josie Saltzman's every word, stacks of books and papers were now.
"So, what teacher didn't give you an extension after Lizzie?" he asked, setting his lunch down in an empty spot. "I'll kick their ass."
"Oh, it's actually not for a class." Josie looked up from her work for only the briefest of moments.
"Extracurriculars?"
"Actually, I'm reading up on how to kill an Original vampire and their tribrid daughters."
Rafael's eyes went wide. "You're really going to kill them both?"
"Yep," Josie answered matter-of-factly.
Rafael raised his eyebrows doubtfully but he didn't say anything.
"What?" Josie grinned. "Like I'm not entitled to?"
"I didn't say that."
"You know, the name 'Saltzman' is quite famous in the vampire-hunting world. I'm gonna finally put it to good use."
Rafael's stomach did flips as he watched Josie smile, clearly pleased with herself and her murderous plan.
"That's not a problem for you, is it?" Josie's smile was gone now, replaced with a concerned look that didn't really make it seem like she cared if it was or not.
"You know -" Rafael grabbed his lunch, "- I actually just remembered I'm supposed to be helping some buddies with a project."
Josie watched as he hurried from the dining hall and then shrugged and got back to her work.