Chapter 32

Hope had barely closed the door behind her and crawled into bed when there was a knock at her door. Her eyes jumped instinctively to the clock on her nightstand. Who would be visiting her at three in the morning? Maybe it was Landon, come to have a second go at her - or maybe to apologize. 
She opened the door, ready to tell him to leave when she found herself staring at the door across from her. The hallway was empty and silent, as was to be expected five hours after curfew. 
But when Hope looked down at her feet, she saw a pink heart-shaped box dangling a card with her name on it tauntingly. She just stared at it.
Back when she’d first come to this school, the other kids used to play pranks like this with boxes spelled to throw glitter at her or to make loud noises after quiet hours. But as they all had grown, pranks turned into rumors and avoidance. It had been years since Hope had received one.
She nudged it into her room with her socked foot, ready for the scare. A quick silencing spell guaranteed that no one would get any satisfaction out of her reaction.
The lid was a little snug but after Hope shook it free, nothing happened. She pulled out a strange hunk of bronze, holding it up to the lamp light to inspect its odd angles and curves. Every scratch in the shiny surface caught the light.
There was nothing else inside the box, no name on the tag but her own. Whoever had left it gave her no explanation. Hope tapped a fingernail against it thoughtfully. What use was it to her? It clattered loudly when she discarded it on her nightstand to go to sleep.