Chapter 42

Lizzie sat down, staring straight ahead. There was a group of students not too far away studying for an exam and she didn’t want to gather their attention, but she needed to talk to the boy next to her that they couldn’t see.
“You can’t be here.” Lizzie folded her hands in her lap, getting right to the point. “MG says you’re not real.”
“Of course I’m real.” Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows. 
“He couldn’t see you.”
“So? Don’t I look real?” 
“Yes, Sebastian!” Lizzie whipped her head around to glare at him. “You do look real! That’s the problem!” 
She spoke too loud, moved too fast, and suddenly the study group was staring at her, pencils frozen midair, jaws slack. 
“Is it not enough that you see me? Why must others?” Sebastian narrowed his eyes.
Lizzie pointed to the group frantically. “They think I’m crazy!” 
“I don’t.”
“Doesn’t matter!” Lizzie sighed loudly. “I finally have friends - a friend - who everyone can see. I can’t do this.” She hung her head sadly. “We can’t talk anymore.”
Lizzie got up to leave, but the stares stopped her. She pulled her lips back into a sneer, channeling as much bitchy energy as she could.
“What are you losers looking at?”
She stormed out of the library before she could hear their giggles.