Chapter 24

The next morning, Hope tip-toed out of Penelope’s room and down to the library. She knew she would find Dorian still there, hunched over his books, eyes moving fast across the page. 
He looked up when she walked in. “Hey, I know why you weren’t affected by the slug.”
“Good morning to you, too.” Hope sits across from him. “Tell me why.”
“It’s not because you’re a tribrid.” Dorian slides a book across the table, pointing to a drawing that looked an awful lot like the slugs they’d inspected. “It’s because you’re supernatural.”
Hope’s eyes skimmed over the handwritten passage underneath the picture, shoulders slumping. “It only affects humans.”
“Correct.” 
Hope slid the book away from her, leaned back in her chair, and began to bite her cheek nervously.
“You should be relieved,” Dorian said. 
“How am I gonna be relieved when it’s the one weekend this school is full of humans?” 
“Because we’re not dealing with a bunch of young and infected witches, vampires, and werewolves - just a handful of humans who think the competition is getting to their heads.”
“Humans who aren’t supposed to know about the supernatural.”
“And vampires to compel them.” Dorian crossed his arms. “We have this under control, Hope. They’re a small group, they’re in our territory, and we have the research.”
“What about any witches who thought they were infected and acted … accordingly?”
“Just a trick of the mind.” Dorian waved his hand dismissively. “Whatever the supernatural version of the Placebo Effect is.”
“Right.” Hope nodded. “I guess I’ll keep an eye on the girls and you keep an eye out for the cure.”